Research: Do adcoms care what type?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtimmer1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title sounds dumb, and we all should know the answer to it. However, do you really think that a difference in research subjects (i.e Organic chemistry vs. Biological) really impresses an adcom differently and on differing levels? This is just a hypothetical question of course. Give me your $.02.

-Jacob

Members don't see this ad.

I'd think that there's too much other stuff that they have to deal with to even care about this kind of thing

They like the type where you can do meaningful work and get publications.

That's my 2 cents, which due to inflation is probably worth less now.

Members don't see this ad :)
My PI is heavily involved in the PhD admissions at the university where I work. He's told the story of one of his favorite applicants, who was involved in research on cherry tomato plants or something tangential like that. The AdCom had no idea about the field really, but that candidate talked so passionately and so indepth about the subject, that they were very impressed and admitted him to the microbiology program.

So in a situation (grad school admissions) where the research mattered even more than med school admissions, the most important quality was the level of commitment and understanding of what the candidate was doing. I think that if you can find research where you can get really involved in and make a substantial contribution, that is worth more than topic of your work.

do you really think that a difference in research subjects (i.e Organic chemistry vs. Biological) really impresses an adcom differently and on differing levels?

It makes no difference. Any scholarly endeavor which adds to human knowledge will make points with an adcomm.

I did my research on a history topic and experiences from one of my study abroads- it was really cool and I presented at a National Museum in DC.

ALL of my interviews have asked about it because it is so different and many seemed really interested- I have been accepted to a school so apparently it didn't hurt me.

Do what you are passionate about - it will be apparent when you interview!

I think that if you don't do research in some sort of interesting humanities field like justdoit31, then you should choose something medically related.

PCR, Western/Southern Blots, Cell Culture, Transfections are very common in translational medical research. Mastery of these techniques will help you understand Biochemistry. Furthermore, anything dealing with cellular signal transduction will also help you understand molecular and cell biology. These subjects constitute the foundation of modern medicine.

I think the general consensus is that anything is fine as long as you are actually passionate about it and not just going through the motions.

My PI is heavily involved in the PhD admissions at the university where I work. He's told the story of one of his favorite applicants, who was involved in research on cherry tomato plants or something tangential like that. The AdCom had no idea about the field really, but that candidate talked so passionately and so indepth about the subject, that they were very impressed and admitted him to the microbiology program.

So in a situation (grad school admissions) where the research mattered even more than med school admissions, the most important quality was the level of commitment and understanding of what the candidate was doing. I think that if you can find research where you can get really involved in and make a substantial contribution, that is worth more than topic of your work.

:thumbup: Great point bud. Competely agree.