Rankings: primary care vs research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.Junior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start this off frankly: I am somewhat interested in research, but I mainly want to learn to be a good doctor and match well.

That said, I see US News ranks based on primary care and research.

Question 1: This is not reflecting my personal priorities, but wondering, is the research ranking weighted more heavily for competitive residency matching?
Q2: What do you get when you go to a school that, say, ranks in top five for PC? Is it good for doctoring (which I think of as bedside manner/best practices) in general, or specifically for family/internal medicine-interested folks?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are myriad methodological issues with USNWR--and most other--rankings. Hence why many schools withdrew from them.

Historically, the research ranking was a decent proxy for school resources, prestige, and research productivity. That somewhat relates to stuff that helps you get in to competitive specialties e.g. publications and coming from a well regarded school.

The primary care ranking was, IIRC, mostly about how many students went in to primary care specialties from that school. That's not an assessment of clinical training and is probably a proxy for either having a mission and pipeline that is focused on minting primary care docs OR having trouble getting students into competitive specialties.

I'd wager that most established (and thoughtfully newly established) MD schools and the better DO schools will provide great clinical training.

Reactions: 4 users
This is a very helpful disambiguation, thank you !

PS: I get that there's issues with USNWR, but--rhetorically speaking--what else is a poor premed supposed to do to efficiently get ballpark estimates? For others who may be reading this, I found Doxy to be a good resource for residency rankings, but you have to be a med student/doctor to get full access.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

PS: I get that there's issues with USNWR, but--rhetorically speaking--what else is a poor premed supposed to do to efficiently get ballpark estimates? For others who may be reading this, I found Doxy to be a good resource for residency rankings, but you have to be a med student/doctor to get full access.
Ballpark estimates for what exactly?

PS: I get that there's issues with USNWR, but--rhetorically speaking--what else is a poor premed supposed to do to efficiently get ballpark estimates?
Target schools whose missions match yours. You can do research even at schools like Mercer or U AR, even some DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Oy, thanks for sharing. I think free and open discourse is important.

At the end of the day, I'm just a busy student who wants to have a good education, and I think most of us will benefit from using whatever sources we can get our hands on to do help "ballpark estimate" and then further dig into/gauge school resources, research productivity, and influence. USWN being one such convenient resource.

You have to understand one thing. There is nothing wrong with US News rankings. They use the same criterial for all schools. People who attack US News ranking never gave any reason for doing so. It is just a blind hatred.

Why they attack US News? Americans (mostly the liberals) do not like ranking of anything just like they hate standardized tests like mcat, sat, act, lsat etc. For them , everyone is same and every institution is same. That’s why they claim ALL those score above 500 on mcat are basically the same. If someone did well on a test, they won’t appreciate it (the innate ability, focus, hard work, determination etc) or value it, they will say he might have taken an expensive coaching , test is biased, test is faulty etc. Thsts why they attack US News ranking, to bring down high ranking institutions.

That’s why they invented the holistic review, that is, to find reasons to prop up the low scoring students and to discredit and bring down high scoring students and make look everyone the same.

So, feel free to use the US News ranking and then browse through the individual school’s websites to learn more about them.

Now, you will see hoards of individuals flock to attack me (rather than providing counter arguments), report me to the moderators and they will ban me from the thread and SDN.That’s how we practice freedom of speech, “if you say something that I don’t like, you have no right to say anything “.
Ah, yes. The person with no background in medicine who’s never applied to medical school knows better than all the people who have.

But if people disagree, it must be since they don’t have counterarguments and are trying to silence you! Not because you come here and give perinneally bad advice while displaying no understanding of medical school, the application process, or the profession.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Now, you will see hoards of individuals flock to attack me (rather than providing counter arguments), report me to the moderators and they will ban me from the thread and SDN.That’s how we practice freedom of speech, “if you say something that I don’t like, you have no right to say anything “.
It's a blessing you're on whatever "probation" is and not flat out banned yet. I've yet to see this guy contribute anything but stirring the pot with discriminatory rhetoric and cringe in however many years he's been around atp.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
"Many years ago U.S. News & World Report, a tabloid magazine that knew nothing about hospitals, for some reason -say, cash- began rating hospitals."

-Samuel Shem, Man's 4th Best Hospital

Reactions: 3 users
"Many years ago U.S. News & World Report, a tabloid magazine that knew nothing about hospitals, for some reason -say, cash- began rating hospitals."

-Samuel Shem, Man's 4th Best Hospital
There's a reason why we in medical school admissions refer to that rag as US Snooze and Worst Report.

The only people who pay attention to it are status obsessed pre-meds and their parents, and medical school deans.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users