Research during 2nd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuliya11111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all the MS2s on this forum. My summer plans for research fell through, but I still want to do research during med school. I was thinking of finding a place to do research and do it during my second year. How feasible is this in terms of the curriculum during the second year? Is this advisable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I did/am doing research during my second year. I found it very do-able if your PI understands that there will be times when you are unavailable. For me I didn't get jack squat done during neurology, and my PI was cool with that. My research is epi stuff, so I can do it at home whenever I get a few spare hours, making it much easier than most types of bench research (no cells to feed every day, no rats to take care of, no gels to run for hours). It's also just my PI and me working on this stuff, so I don't have to attend lab meetings and rely on others for stuff like I did in a previous lab.

Basic science research? If this is a lab you haven't been involved with before, I would say there's no way you'll get meaningful research done. It could be a good segway with reading and some contact with the lab into a year off project, but as for doing anything yourself, there's just not enough time and your schedule is too rigid. It also depends on your school's schedule/pressure, how well you want to do in med school, and how much free time you want.