Research year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent246

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't know who to ask for help or guidance as I don't have that support at my medical school (unfortunately), but I have been very interested in plastic surgery since I was a pre-med working at an outpatient office, and I have been trying my best lately to get into a research year, as I am almost done with my third year.

I have gotten interviews for 6 programs, so the issue is not getting the interview, but the issue is why I am not selected for the position post-interview. I finish these interviews feeling like I did well, but then a couple of weeks later, I get an email saying that although I was a good candidate, they decided to go with someone else. What gives? I want to know what is causing them to choose other people over me, but I don't know if it is appropriate for me to ask for feedback.

Does anyone have advice for me? I also have been cold emailing, and that has not been too successful. I got an interview after cold emailing, but for that specific program, I just found out I was not selected. It is already March, and I am running out of time :( I am worried.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you want to help but need more details, please dm me!

Members don't see this ad.

two recommendations from PIs I did research with the summer of my first year. i think they are good letters, they sent them to me so I saw them

Reactions: 1 users
it honestly just feels like a very superficial bias, probably picking students who have connections or go to a big name institution