research during burned out period?

Started by Keberson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Keberson

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys...

I dying on my surg rotation and have a specialty month of hell coming up (q3, very busy, hellish service). I could get out of it (take vacation) and spend some serious time doing a case report and wooing a big name derm person. I'd have to make the time up obviously in july of my fourth year and would hopefully be assigned an easier specialty month.

I don't have anything really great to put out there for my derm app besides great grades/board scores. No contacts, no research as of now. I might just kill myself if I have to stay in surg for four more weeks. Additionally, I will have no time to study for my test and the rotation is infamous for giving everybody pass anyway.

What would ya'll do?
 
Hey guys...

I dying on my surg rotation and have a specialty month of hell coming up (q3, very busy, hellish service). I could get out of it (take vacation) and spend some serious time doing a case report and wooing a big name derm person. I'd have to make the time up obviously in july of my fourth year and would hopefully be assigned an easier specialty month.

I don't have anything really great to put out there for my derm app besides great grades/board scores. No contacts, no research as of now. I might just kill myself if I have to stay in surg for four more weeks. Additionally, I will have no time to study for my test and the rotation is infamous for giving everybody pass anyway.

What would ya'll do?

You might wanna suck it up and get it over with. The begining of 4th year should be time to do derm rotations to try to get letters. Not a time to make up something from the 3rd year. But if you can get a derm letter/derm rotation/derm publish in 3rd year then it'd be worth it. My school just didn't let you do any derm until 4th year.