research during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggpia2343

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to do basic science research during internal medicine residency?

people who are doing / have done the abim short track : did you find that you had time to do any meaningful activity during your clinical years?

Members don't see this ad.

why basic science and not clinical? There is no benefit with basic science research with what u will be doing

Too time consuming, nor worth it. I looked into it bc I did it in med school. Unless you're a lab guru and can outsource your projects to students or techs, it won't happen...bc you likely need a grant for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with above. Basic research requires substantial time commitment to pull off ... i dont even know how feasible it is during clinical years. Someone with more experience can prolly chime in and give better advice. Retrospective studies, small prospective studies, and QI stuff are all easily doable with clinical duties. I averaged 5-10 hrs a week.

is it possible to do basic science research during internal medicine residency?

people who are doing / have done the abim short track : did you find that you had time to do any meaningful activity during your clinical years?
I did the research pathway (Onc). I had exactly 0 time during residency to do anything other than contact a potential research mentor (who I already knew). During my first year of fellowship (PGY 3), I had 1 month of elective time and I used it to get my bearings on the project I'd be working on. Mostly reading, talking to the PI and other lab members and going to seminars.

If you already have a project up and running in a lab and you have techs/grad students to help you with the actual lab work, then you can probably get something done in residency. Otherwise, no.

No, basic science is not feasible during residency. I am unsure if there are residencies which offer upwards of six months or so of research time but in most academic residencies it is not doable.

I've done case reports, a retrospective study, and a systematic review in residency so research and publishing certainly is doable, but for basic science you physically need hours of time in a lab running experiments, which simply cannot be done here.

Many fellowships, however, do allow allotted time for basic science research if you are interested.