research during year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FenixTx

MS-1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone doing research during the academic year? How manageable is it? Any recommendations on how to find paid research spots compatible with first and second year medical school.

During first year, only do it if you are doing well in your courses. Some people find it manageable, but others don't. Definitely line up something for the summer after first year, if you are so inclined -- if it is going well, you can consider continuing the project into your second year. And you can always take a research year off if you feel you need research for your residency goals, but did not have time during the academic year.

Anyone doing research during the academic year? How manageable is it? Any recommendations on how to find paid research spots compatible with first and second year medical school.
I did a small (~20 subject) clinical study during MS 1-2. It was hard, it required me taking exams early, and I spent weekends working on my project when others were having fun.

If you do it, then you have to remember that you are a student first, which means being able to bail when you need to focus on class. That probably rules out any position where you get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely possible to do during the year. Finding paid research (other than between MSI and MSII), virtually impossible.

I have done research throughout every year of medical school. It is very doable. Only the summer between MSI-II was paid here. Paid research isn't easy to find, especially if it is clinical research.

I was paid to do bench research between the M1 and M2 years. I have continued my participation in the same lab on a volunteer basis, which gives me a lot of control over the hours I make myself available. It remains to be seen whether I'm shooting myself in the foot by spending possible study time there.