Research Experience Before Applying to an MD/PHD program or a MD/MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nihitmehta

Osteopathic Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of previous research experience is reasonably required for an MD/PHD program or an MD/MS Program?

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhD- at least two years sustained research. Though many (most?) applicants have substantially more (4-6 years).

What kind of previous research experience is reasonably required for an MD/PHD program or an MD/MS Program?

@plumazul has 2 years I think? But she has a ~4.0/~40; she is doing really well this cycle.

Personally I have 6 years (4 during undergrad, 2 after), but I think 2-3 should be fine.

Programs might have preferences, some will rank higher applicants with stronger research over stronger MCAT/GPA. Publications and presentations are a tangible indication of research strength, but often UG projects don't make it to peer-review publications. Any candidate with serious work at NIH (i.e.: IRTA or other program) is very well considered in my (and many other) programs. They tend to excel in our interview process. Having said that, we also interview current UG seniors who they tend to have stronger MCAT/GPAs.

To answer the OP, the minimum is about 2 years of experience, which for a current UG senior means 2 full-time summers and 4 semesters of 10-15 hrs/wk. One year (full-time) of post-bac at time of application with strong letters of recommendation might be, again, minimum for somebody who change career as of late. The key aspect is what kind (and how deep) of experiences you have acquired from that eureka time about a clinician-scientist career. Again 100 hrs of physician shadowing are sufficient, don't waste time (for MD/PhD applications) on volunteering, leadership, and other things to make you well-rounded. Those are necessary experiences for MD applications.