Research experience: lab or clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillips101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research about clinical psych grad programs, and every single source (including SDN) says that research experience is the #1 most important factor in your application. My question is- when referring to "research experience", is it CLINICAL or lab-bench that we're talking about? Since I'm applying to a clinical psych Ph.D., do I need to work in clinical trials as a research assistant?

Sorry if this question seems too basic, any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the type of lab you're applying to. A lot of us come in with clinical research experience, but some have research in other areas of psych. "Bench" research might not help much or at all unless the lab you're going into is related (eg genetics research). I know my lab didn't really care about bio/chem research unless it incorporated psych and the person had assessment and IRB experience.

Can you describe the type of clinical research you're talking about? Did you participated in clinical trials (I would imagine this is hard, since no clinic will let you research on patients without the degree). Are you talking about the type of research in psych departments (those that psych 101 students participate in as lab rats). As far as bench experience, I did one in neuroimmunology, which I HOPE would somehow relate since I want to go into neuropsychology.

Thank you again. I'm in the process of contacting faculty to volunteer in their lab as an RA, and just want to make sure I'm getting the right KIND of experience programs are looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you describe the type of clinical research you're talking about? Did you participated in clinical trials (I would imagine this is hard, since no clinic will let you research on patients without the degree). Are you talking about the type of research in psych departments (those that psych 101 students participate in as lab rats). As far as bench experience, I did one in neuroimmunology, which I HOPE would somehow relate since I want to go into neuropsychology.

Thank you again. I'm in the process of contacting faculty to volunteer in their lab as an RA, and just want to make sure I'm getting the right KIND of experience programs are looking for.

So I know I already responded to you in the WAMC thread, but I'm going to throw my two cents in here too.

Like PsychPhDStudent, my understanding is that it's best to have psych-related experience. A neuroimmunology background might be somewhat helpful to you in your chosen research focus, but even in a neuropsych program they'll probably be looking for some psychology research experience. After all, as a neuropsychologist you'll be interacting with patients rather than slides of neurons.

Personally, I spent a few years working at a psychiatric research hospital affiliated with a university. We worked on studies of therapies for people with several different mental illnesses, and I was able to get experience with almost every aspect of the research process -- IRB, recruiting, testing, data analysis, paper-writing, etc -- and had a lot of time working directly with patients.

When you say "no clinic will let you research on patients without the degree" -- that's not quite true. You won't be able to be the PI of a study, but you can certainly still get a lot of clinical research experience.

Thanks for the replies. I know what to do in terms of research now. It's both a relief and trouble for me- relief since I don't like bench research (as already stated elsewhere on this forum), trouble since I don't have any clinical research experience. Thanks for making that clear!

Thanks for the replies. I know what to do in terms of research now. It's both a relief and trouble for me- relief since I don't like bench research (as already stated elsewhere on this forum), trouble since I don't have any clinical research experience. Thanks for making that clear!

<<<<spent the last two years doing basic immunology work (neuroimmunology aka multiple sclerosis work) but in the context of translational medicine. I did have a prior history of psych research, but what I was told and what I have done is relate WHY my wet science/bench work will be huge for a psych phd.

Remember, clinical phd's are trying to move towards more scientifically grounded programs, so if you can make the argument that having a basic science background is key to what you will contribute to clinical psych, then thats great. For instance, having worked in a translational research field, I argued in my personal statement that that framework (translational) must be applied to specific areas of clinical psych, the bench to practice to bench framework that is.

I also had one of my letters argue the same thing, him being a "father" of translational medicine.

Inevitable I think picking up ONE solid experience of psych research, i.e., at like a children's hospital or something like that will help show you have true interest in psychology, but I am on the other side saying your basic science research could be huge for you if you spin it in such a way.

J

Personally, I spent a few years working at a psychiatric research hospital affiliated with a university. We worked on studies of therapies for people with several different mental illnesses, and I was able to get experience with almost every aspect of the research process -- IRB, recruiting, testing, data analysis, paper-writing, etc -- and had a lot of time working directly with patients.

This is what I meant. Yes, some of us actually do coordinate clinical trials after graduation. :cool: (Sorry, really into the smilies today.) The experience I and many of my classmates had is basically this. AlaskanJustin does make valid points -- I too think the most important thing to keep in mind is how you can relate your experience to the lab you're applying to. If they are doing genetics research or neuroscience research that you can directly apply your skills to, you're going to be a very attractive applicant. Also if they are looking to fill a certain niche you may have it. However, if your bench research doesn't relate much to the lab and the direction they are heading in, you are going to have a harder time competing with people who came from labs doing very similar work. Profs really like when you can jump into the lab immediately and get research started without much assistance. ;) If you have experience helping writing grants, dealing with budgeting and general lab management, managing IRB (fun), recruiting, consenting, and running participants, doing assessments of participants, coordinating interventions/treatments, analyzing the data, and presenting and writing up the results, you are more likely to be able to jump right into research when you get there. Also, with a general clinical RA job you tend to learn time management very well. :laugh: So a bench background isn't necessarily a problem, especially if it relates to the incoming lab. It might be more a problem if that's ALL you had and you never had any original input into the studies. I know we look for people who have designed and implemented similar research to what we do and who can be productive from the start. That will vary by program and lab.

If you can't pick up intensive experience super-close to the labs to which you applied, maybe attempt to get some assessment training. That would make you look attractive, too.

Ahh...so THAT's what "wet science" refers to, lol. I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what do you mean by "translational research field"?

Also, I agree with what you said about things can be different depending on what spin you put on it. Most people seem to condemn bench research because this is a clinical psych program, but I don't think it's completely thrown out the window (at least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better haha). Also, I emailed the CUNY neuropsych admissions person, and she said that the research itself doesn't necessarily have to be in clinical psychology. Many students come in with neuroscience and cognitive science experience. But remember, this is for a neuropsychology program, which to my understanding, has its own application at CUNY.
Nevertheless, I'm still going to work (for free) at a clinical psych lab, since I want to know what I'm getting myself into anyways.

Ahh...so THAT's what "wet science" refers to, lol. I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but what do you mean by "translational research field"?

Also, I agree with what you said about things can be different depending on what spin you put on it. Most people seem to condemn bench research because this is a clinical psych program, but I don't think it's completely thrown out the window (at least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better haha). Also, I emailed the CUNY neuropsych admissions person, and she said that the research itself doesn't necessarily have to be in clinical psychology. Many students come in with neuroscience and cognitive science experience. But remember, this is for a neuropsychology program, which to my understanding, has its own application at CUNY.
Nevertheless, I'm still going to work (for free) at a clinical psych lab, since I want to know what I'm getting myself into anyways.

I would keep in mind that the npsych program at queens college is not APA approved and you will thus struggle in the match because of it. Also, because it is purely npsych, I would make darn sure you wouldnt change you mind about what area of psych your interested in during grad school, bc its 100% neuro im fairly sure. I have found that even neuropsychologists want well rounded clincians with a variety oif experiences in addition to neuro assessment knowledge. Therefore I am pretty skpetical of programs that focus almost 100% on the neuro aspect of clinical psychology.

Last edited:
I would keep in mind that the npsych program at queens college is not APA approved and you will thus struggle in the match because of it. Also because it is purely npsych, I would make darn sure you wouldnt change you mind about what area of psych your interested in during grad school, bc its 100% neuro im fairly sure.
I've really wondered about programs like that (the 100% neuro focus). I know some neuro fellowships welcome straight neuro people, but it seems that being a well rounded clinicians would be beneficial in the long run. As for the lack of APA-acred.....I'd be worried about the opportunities I may miss out on because of the lack of APA-acred.

well so translational research is a huge push these days, especially since Obama is funding more and more of this type of work. Basically put, translational research is the process of applying basic science/lab findings into practice with clinical populations, and then whatever findings/data you get from a clinical population and study it back in the lab. This is especially important in psych because you have a huge divide with basic psych research and what actually goes on in PP and clinical settings. Imagine being able to apply basic research findings in the clinical setting, then analyzing results/findings/observations from the clinical setting back in the lab. That is a big deal at the NIH and that is what some of my PS talked about. I spoke with a LOT of clinical psych admissions boards people, DCTs etc (I sampled a lot of schools in the area, just randomly calling them or emailing them and asking) and they all said the same thing that depending on how you spin it in the PS, will determine if it helps you or not.

J