Research Experience Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm0508

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Goro @LizzyM

Hi Goro & Lizzy M,

I was wondering how you would view working in pharmaceutical clinical trials? I've read on some admissions sites that they want "academic research experience". Should I classify this experience as something separate? Or is it safe to classify under "research experience" on AMCAS. I have about a year of FT experience and am also completing a Master's lit thesis.

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro @LizzyM

Hi Goro & Lizzy M,

I was wondering how you would view working in pharmaceutical clinical trials? I've read on some admissions sites that they want "academic research experience". Should I classify this experience as something separate? Or is it safe to classify under "research experience" on AMCAS. I have about a year of FT experience and am also completing a Master's lit thesis.

Thank you for your input!
I don't consider clinical trials to be research as we typically define it/ After all, what hypothesis are you testing? What are you learning about the scientific method?

I understand your point, it is certainly more passive than doing an independent project. I had to read the protocols and follow I/E, complete procedures, etc, but obviously I wasn't interpreting or analyzing data.

So you think I should just place it under clinical experience rather than research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
This was a paid, full-time position.

This is not "academic research experience". It could be tagged on the AMCAS application as employment and I think that would be the most honest tag you could give it.

This is not "academic research experience". It could be tagged on the AMCAS application as employment and I think that would be the most honest tag you could give it.
Thank you, will do!