Research Experience Summary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sav_b1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm finishing up my research experience essay for AMCAS, and I was wondering about the formality and structure of it. I've summarized my research experiences clearly and succinctly. Are we supposed to present this as a formal essay? Are we expected to begin with an introduction and end with a conclusion?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You can use any and all spaces in your application to support the main goal, which is to show that you are committed to become a clinician-scientist, and that all of these experiences have convinced you that you can't do it any other way. Research experience shouldn't just be chronologically those experiences, but build up to show that you talk about the hypotheses of your projects and your personal growth while experiencing these projects. Some use an introduction and a summary conclusion, and some effective essays don't. In the end, don't just list techniques and jobs, but how these opportunities transformed you...

I organized it into sections by project title, and succinctly described the project aims/hypotheses, methods used, results, and presentations/submitted manuscripts/publications. I believe an essay format would make it more difficult to read than it needs to be, and add to the essay fatigue that already burdens any MD-PHD application