Research experience

Started by Annakei
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

First congrats to those of you who've gotten through this process with success!!

I am prepping to apply to clinical psych programs next year. Although most will be PSYD, I plan to apply for a few PHD programs as well. Currently I am studying for the GREs (retake) and gaining really good clinical experience and plan to have really great letters of recommendation.

So here is my issue...Im looking for ways to get involved in clinical research and have no idea where to start! I live in the DC metro area and looking for any opps that may come across my path but no luck so far. I work with a research psychologist and have requested to be a research interviewer (open position) but have yet to hear back from her. I plan to ask my immediate supervisor about this tomorrow...but until then...any ideas?

Right now Ive been accepted to a 2 Counseling programs and pretty much deciding between the two.

Thoughts...suggestions?
 
Well, in the DC metro area there are so many opportunities to work in Clinical REsearch. Check out websites for NIH or NIMH, or any of the many university hospitals in your area. Since most people who have been accepted to grad programs are giving notice now, this is the perfect time to begin your job hunt.

Also, what do you mean, you've been accepted to 2 counseling programs? Do you mean Masters Programs, or Counseling Psych PhD?
 
Ive been accepted and will be taking classes as a back up just in case I dont get accepted next year. This also keepsthe govt off my back for student loans Im unable to start replaying right now.


I work full time right now so I would need something very part time. Im beginning to question if this will be necessary but its worth a shot. As I said before I am applying to mainly PSYD programs with about 2 or 3 clinical PHD programs thrown in.

I dont have ANY formal research experience so anything would help at this point to help my application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Annakei said:
Ive been accepted and will be taking classes as a back up just in case I dont get accepted next year. This also keepsthe govt off my back for student loans Im unable to start replaying right now.


I work full time right now so I would need something very part time. Im beginning to question if this will be necessary but its worth a shot. As I said before I am applying to mainly PSYD programs with about 2 or 3 clinical PHD programs thrown in.

I dont have ANY formal research experience so anything would help at this point to help my application.

Are you taking classes at a master's counseling program, since they are allow for part-time study?
 
Yes, they do allow part time and I will be taking classes beginning in the Fall. So I will start the program while applying for the PSYD programs in hopes of transferring next year and if by some change I dont get in to one of them, Ill have the MA program to fall back on...

Right now I am looking for some research experience to add to my resume because eventhough PSYD emphasizes clinical/field experience there are some that value research because the faculty are mostly PHDs...