Research experience

Started by Annakei
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How important is research experience to a PsyD program?
 
Research experience is certainly not as important for a Psy.D. program as it is for a Ph.D. program. However, certain Psy.D. programs do in fact value it. I applied to Psy.D. programs because I knew my interests were primarily clinical, but I still felt it was important to gain some research experience. I ended up learning a good amount and recieved a very strong recommendation from the professor I did research for. During my interviews for Psy.D. programs, the people interviewing me seemed very interested in the research I had helped conduct, and I would say that it certainly helped me get into programs. Clinical experience is obviously more important, but schools also look for well-rounded candidates who are at least capable in the realm of research. Hope that helps