research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I really hope this is not a stupid question but I am currently working on finishing up my pre-reqs but am really having a hard time figuring out how I can get some research experience. I am not in a "post-bach" program per se but am just doing the pre-reqs as I have time so none of my profs really know more than my name. I am just not really sure how to approach the whole situation... :idea: can anyone give me some advice?? :confused:

Also, how critical is research experience for my application??

Members don't see this ad.

new girl said:
Hi - I really hope this is not a stupid question but I am currently working on finishing up my pre-reqs but am really having a hard time figuring out how I can get some research experience. I am not in a "post-bach" program per se but am just doing the pre-reqs as I have time so none of my profs really know more than my name. I am just not really sure how to approach the whole situation... :idea: can anyone give me some advice?? :confused:

Hey girl,

I did my "post-bacc" at a smaller school with no formal program. I asked my premed advisor for a list of professors in the biology and chemistry departments who were conducting research and what they were doing. Then I contacted them all about possible assistantships. I talked to the ones who responded and began working for the one who I felt like I "clicked" with. I had no idea what any of them were really doing, so I didn;t choose based on what they were researching. I didn't really know what I was interested in either. It worked out very well for me, I have a really solid LOR, research experience, and if he would ever get around to writing our paper, a publication.
As to how critical research experience is, I'll let you know after this application cycle. (Most people say it helps). Best of luck.

new girl said:

Getting good clinical experience/exposure (via volunteering, shadowing, hospital jobs) is critical (basically a prereq) at most places. Having done research (laboratory or clinical research) is regarded as a plus, but quite a few people (on SDN and in real life) seem to get into med school without it. Research is probably of more importance to the schools at the top of the rankings lists, as they tend to me more research (funding) focused. One adcom at a top ranked school advised me that the "ideal applicant" would have both clinical and research experience.