• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.


New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2008
Status (Visible)

I am writing because I have been confused about something. I have aspirations to be a clinical psychologist. I've figured that to do this, I should get a master's in general/experimental psych first, then go to a Ph.D. program. I am doing this in order to gain more research experience in fields related to clinical psychology. However, I have lots of research in the Human Factors field. I've worked as a RA in this field for the past 2 years, have conducted several user tests and am already published. This is because I was almost dead set on this field, as I've worked in IT for 4-5 years, but after some soul searching, I realized that I crave something more in tune with the human condition and want more human interaction.

I was wondering if this type of research experience sufficient for me to get into a Clinical Psych. Ph.D. program? Or, am I doing the right thing by getting my Master's first b/c Clinical psych programs want to see more research related to that field, in field like neuropsych, social psych, cognitive psych, etc.?



Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Assuming the human factors research was done under a psychology professor who can give you a good LOR, I see no reason you could not apply now. Two years and an author credit sound good. Do you have any experience that would help you back up your desire for clinical? You'll want to have experience or something to use in your purpose statement to convince the schools that you really want to be a clinical psychologist and not involved in human factors anymore, but you sound like you'd be fine applying now to me. (Except, perhaps, that the first schools' deadlines are in less than 2 weeks!)
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.