research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when listing my research experience as vet experience, does this have to be independent research of my own that i've done under a vet/phd or can it be research that i assisted with?

currently i'm a lab assisant (i help run enzyme assays and DNA extraction, etc) at one of the Pathobio labs at the Vet School (under a vet/PhD) and also do data entry for a dog behavior study at the Ryan Vet Hospital (under a PhD)

i'm also planning on conducting independent research spring semester of my junior year with the Pathobio lab that i work at, but that's still in the works.

Members don't see this ad.

That all sounds like research experience to me!

I think as long as you know what you are doing and why you are doing it, then it counts as research exp. :)

Research assisting is fine. I spent a summer sorting and typing wild-caught bugs and it counted, even though it was someone else's project. Yours should count, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the others have said, I just want to make sure that when you say "Independent research", you are talking about under the supervision/guidance of a PhD, DVM, or some other professional.

If it is something you are doing on the side, using your own time, without supervision, that can get a little fishy. Not sure if thats what you mean or not. If that is the case, just see about registering for say 1 semester Directed Individual Study or however your school does it - So it is at least documented

oh yes, that's what i meant.
i will be getting biology credit for it. it'll be under the supervision of my current boss, most likely, who is a VMD/PhD

it's called "independent study" at my school, and i can get credit in my bio major for it.