bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello! I am a graduating biology major applying to vet schools this summer/fall. I was hoping to get advice regarding research labs:

I just joined a 2nd research lab at my university. This lab is studying effects of meth use on different types of learning in rats, so, obviously, lab animals are used. Would this count as biomedical research? Technically, it's more neuroscience/psychology than anything else...

I guess the actual question is this: What would be the best way to categorize this experience (i.e. animal/veterinary/biomedical/etc)?

My other research lab is a chemistry lab, which I'm assuming can only be classified as "extracurricular" experience, despite relevance to the pharmaceutical industry?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! :D

zeebra44

Frito feet!
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
I classified my undergraduate research/lab experience under veterinary because it was supervised by a professional. According to VMCAS, experience under a health professional (and related to animals) counts as veterinary experience. A PI or a professor in charge of a lab meets that criteria.

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanks, both of you, for such a rapid response!

It's good to hear that it could be considered veterinary experience even if not supervised by a veterinarian-- I was just about to say that it seemed odd that the same research experience would be classified differently based solely on the supervisor.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
I would list it as veterinary, personally, but the best bet is always, always, always... ask the schools you're applying to. :)

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
I would list it as veterinary, personally, but the best bet is always, always, always... ask the schools you're applying to. :)
Absolutely, just thought I'd get a general idea here. ;)

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Assuming the PI is a DVM, MD, or PhD, I would list it as veterinary. That is how VMCAS would classify it. Some schools may not, but they will reclassify it if need be.

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
Clearly I'm terrible at navigating through the VMCAS website, but I was wondering... where can I find the information on how VMCAS classifies experiences? Or is this info part of the instructions not made available until VMCAS opens for Fall 2011 applicants?

Thanks again, everyone.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Or is this info part of the instructions not made available until VMCAS opens for Fall 2011 applicants?

Thanks again, everyone.
I think you nailed it on the head! I don't remember seeing the details till I started my actual app.

lei325

Pseudo-adult
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Status
Veterinarian
I think you nailed it on the head! I don't remember seeing the details till I started my actual app.
Same. They have a little chart on the application that helps you figure out whether it should be classified as veterinary or animal experience. But yes, the best way to figure out what it will be considered is by contacting the schools, or using the discussion board VMCAS sets up for applicants (but this doesn't start until after the app opens).

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
You'll have instructions in each section as you fill in the vmcas, but this past year it was stated that if your research is with a DVM, MD, or PhD it's classified as veterinary. My research experience was put under veterinary.

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanks for the info -- I guess I'm just chomping at the bit. ;)