WAMC Non-trad, low GPA, Heavy Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying next cycle or the one after and would like advice. I am a non traditional applicant with a heavy research background with concerns about GPA. I was original a prevet student when I started college, but I had the opportunity to complete a masters which furthered my research career. However, I miss the human interaction of veterinary medicine and the clinical side. I am interested in Equine and Sports Medicine.

GPAs:
Cumulative GPA
(Undergrad + Grad): 3.64
Cumulative GPA (Undergrad): 3.55
Cumulative GPA (Grad): 3.80
Science GPA (Undergrad + Grad): 3.40-3.44
Science GPA (Undergrad): 3.25
Science GPA (Grad): 3.67-3.76
last 45: 3.85

I calculated the GPAs using the VMCAS spreadsheet
***Missing prereqs: Orgo II, Biochem, Physics I and II

Any degrees achieved
Animal Science BS 2021
Animal Science MS (Thesis) 2023
Animal Biology PhD (in progress will obtain in 2027)

Veterinary Experience:
-400hrs as a Veterinary Technician at Veterinary Hospital
-250hrs as a Vet Technician at a Human Society
-250hrs shadowing Equine Veterinarian
-100hrs shadowing Veterinarians at Veterinary Hospital

Animal Experience:
-70hrs volunteer at Equine Rescue
-300hrs Pet sitting business
-300hrs Horse Rehab and Camp Counselor

Research Experience:
-2,000hrs as a Masters Student working in Equine Genetics.
-5,000hrs as a PhD Student/Candidate (this was hard to quantify as I am still getting my degree) working in Equine Bioinformatics Genetics and Genomics, occasional ruminant and rodent genetics.
-Five first author publications, three (and more coauthor publications)
-International Conferences - several

Awards/scholarships:
-Dean's List a couple semesters
-Research Travel Award for International Conferences x4
-Best Graduate Student Presentation Award
-Florida Bright Futures
-Three Scholarships during Undergrad
-Honors Program

Extracurriculars:
-Equestrian Club: Captain (2 years), Secretary (1 year)
-Teaching Assistant:
Undegrad (Repro)
Masters (Horse Handling + Genetics)
PhD (Ethics + Genetics)
-Online Book Club Founder and Head
-Dressage Rider

Employment:
-Graduate Research Assistant
-Small Animal Veterinary Technician
-Horse Camp Counselor

Concerns:
I have concerns with my science GPA as I struggled with chemistry. Excelled in Genetics and Molecular Biology and Physiology
-Retook Chem 1 (D+ -> C)
-C+ in Chem II, Orgo I, Bs in Bio, As in Genetics, Repro, Growth, Microbio, Animal Science, As in all lab
-Have to retake Orgo II (took Pass/Fail, then got a D+)
-Have to retake Biochem (D)
-Have to take Physics I and II (withdrew from Physics 1)
-I passed all my labs with As.

Potential schools:
-UF (IS)
-VMCVM
-CSU
-NCSU
-Ohio State
-LIU

Questions:
-How bad is it that I need to retake classes?
-Do I have a chance for my IS (UF)?
-Any more schools I should add?
 
I don’t think your GPAs are all that bad as you’ve presented them here at the beginning, but the thing that concerns me most is all the number of science/prereq classes you have left. Those can be tough courses and your performance in them could really change things. Those courses are going to add directly to your science and last 45 GPAs, so you really need to do great when you take/retake those. If you do well, I think you have a decent chance, but if you do poorly you may have an uphill battle to face. Your in-state school UF doesn’t replace grades on retakes; it factors in all attempts. I think you should still apply to your in-state if you meet all the other requirements, but your stats may look better on paper at schools that replace the grade for retakes rather than factoring in both attempts. But you’re gonna have to research schools and really find out how they assess their applicants and find the places where you look best on paper. Your experiences are good, you just need to do everything in your power to rock those remaining science prereqs.

NCSU is very competitive for OOS because they don’t take a ton of OOS and they let people switch to in state tuition after a year so they get lots of apps; that’s probably a long shot school for you as their GPAs for accepted OOS are usually extremely high. I’m not saying you have no shot there, but there’s probably other schools you have better odds at.
 
I suggest you take the courses, even more now since the cycles have been increasing in competitiveness and # of applicants. If you take those prereqs I think you can increase the # of schools you can apply to and up your chances.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you both! I appreciate and I will put in more effort than I did in undergrad to take and retake the courses I need. I was concerned that the graduate work might not count since my PhD is in progress (but I will have my degree by the time I apply) and I know vet schools heavily weigh undergrad and required prereqs.

Iowa, MSU, and Michigan all allow for retakes to my knowledge. I'll have to look up COA too.

I would also consider schools abroad.
 
Thank you both! I appreciate and I will put in more effort than I did in undergrad to take and retake the courses I need. I was concerned that the graduate work might not count since my PhD is in progress (but I will have my degree by the time I apply) and I know vet schools heavily weigh undergrad and required prereqs.

Iowa, MSU, and Michigan all allow for retakes to my knowledge. I'll have to look up COA too.

I would also consider schools abroad.
I would even reach out through a call to their admissions dept. Explain your situation so they can best help you in your case, Im sure they don't hear PhD candidates trying to apply to DVM as much as undergrads.
 
I would even reach out through a call to their admissions dept. Explain your situation so they can best help you in your case, Im sure they don't hear PhD candidates trying to apply to DVM as much as undergrads.
That would be an excellent idea. Thank you! I’m a bit of a unique case aren’t I?

Wished I took my sciences a bit more seriously in undergrad, at least I’m on a better trajectory now.
 
Similar situation to you. MS in Chemistry/Biochem. 10k+ research hours. Currently endocrinology RD for diagnostic lab. Left my PhD due to domestic violence. Life is much better now😃

So far interviews at Auburn and Western. Ross was a yes. I’ll let you know how the rest of this cycle goes My pre-reqs were 10+ years old so I’m limited in where I can apply.

I’m also an adjunct professor of gen chem, orgo, and bio. Honestly orgo requires a strong understanding of gen chem 2. Depending on your program, you might need a strong grasp of orgo for biochem. P chem was a prerequisite for biochem at my school 😝

Are you thinking private practice or academic?
 
Similar situation to you. MS in Chemistry/Biochem. 10k+ research hours. Currently endocrinology RD for diagnostic lab. Left my PhD due to domestic violence. Life is much better now😃

So far interviews at Auburn and Western. Ross was a yes. I’ll let you know how the rest of this cycle goes My pre-reqs were 10+ years old so I’m limited in where I can apply.

I’m also an adjunct professor of gen chem, orgo, and bio. Honestly orgo requires a strong understanding of gen chem 2. Depending on your program, you might need a strong grasp of orgo for biochem. P chem was a prerequisite for biochem at my school 😝

Are you thinking private practice or academic?
Hi! Congrats on your interviews! Hope many more come your way, turn into acceptances, and it's great you are in a much better situation. And another horse person, yay! Are you thinking to go academic?

I definitely need to revisit my chemistry basics and strengthen them, but I did love endocrinology, immunology, and physiology which require some knowledge. Honestly, Grad School is making me miss classes now that I am in candidacy and made me realize how much I should have studied during undergrad. My qualifying exam felt easier than prereq classes 😉.

I was thinking academic, but I don't know now due the uncertainty with funding, especially government funding. But PSLF sounds enticing given the academic route to repay loans and the opportunity to travel to cool international conferences is a major plus. Private practice gets more face-to-face interaction which is nice and I'm missing that being on the computer for most of my PhD.