Research Experiences for MD/PHD Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danishmaximus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm currently working on my MD/PHD applications and I am almost done. I had a question about adding my research experiences in the "Work/Activities" section of the application. Since the application requires an essay explaining all of my research experiences, should I not add my research experiences in the "Work/Activities" section or should I just add it anyway? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will separate the "MD stuff" from the "MD/PhD stuff" received on the AMCAS and send only the required essays, etc., to the appropriate department. If you were to forego describing your research in the "Work/Activities" section, the MD people may never see that you had research experience (not incredibly likely, but possible).

That being said, I would go ahead and briefly describe your research experience on the actual application--nothing incredibly detailed... You can then detail the experience in your research essay.

I would suggest you mention research and your committment to it every opportunity you have on the application. You are applying to a research-oriented program and like the previous poster suggested, it never hurts to seem overboard with research.