Research Experiences for MD/PHD Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

danishmaximus

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I'm currently working on my MD/PHD applications and I am almost done. I had a question about adding my research experiences in the "Work/Activities" section of the application. Since the application requires an essay explaining all of my research experiences, should I not add my research experiences in the "Work/Activities" section or should I just add it anyway? Thanks.
 
Many schools will separate the "MD stuff" from the "MD/PhD stuff" received on the AMCAS and send only the required essays, etc., to the appropriate department. If you were to forego describing your research in the "Work/Activities" section, the MD people may never see that you had research experience (not incredibly likely, but possible).

That being said, I would go ahead and briefly describe your research experience on the actual application--nothing incredibly detailed... You can then detail the experience in your research essay.
 
I would suggest you mention research and your committment to it every opportunity you have on the application. You are applying to a research-oriented program and like the previous poster suggested, it never hurts to seem overboard with research.