Research Experiences on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry I am an MS4 and had some questions about my experiences that I have put on ERAS. My ERAS is ready to go (without my letters) but I just thought of somethings that I should have thought about before. Still not too late I guess haha...

I was supposed to begin a research project in the field I am interested in this month. Needless to say, the project is still pending IRB approval. So I will not be able to begin it before submission of ERAS. So I was told by a faculty at my school that I could still put this down as a research experience and describe it and what my role will be and at the end mention that it is pending IRB approval. My 4th year schedule currently includes Nov. and Dec. as research months and that is what I have put down on ERAS. Do you think this is acceptable?

I did another research project during the summer of my first year and it has already been accepted for publication. I have also helped create a poster for it which will be presented at a conference in November. Here is my question: in case I cannot attend this conference and the poster is presented without me being there, do you think I can still mention it on ERAS as s poster presentation which will take place in November?

I just wasn’t sure whether I can mention things that will take place in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a quick question about a case report. I wrote the case report and its finished and ready for submission. Do you think its okay to put this under "other than published" and then for status put submitted. And if yes what do I put for publication name?

thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

Sorry I am an MS4 and had some questions about my experiences that I have put on ERAS. My ERAS is ready to go (without my letters) but I just thought of somethings that I should have thought about before. Still not too late I guess haha...

I was supposed to begin a research project in the field I am interested in this month. Needless to say, the project is still pending IRB approval. So I will not be able to begin it before submission of ERAS. So I was told by a faculty at my school that I could still put this down as a research experience and describe it and what my role will be and at the end mention that it is pending IRB approval. My 4th year schedule currently includes Nov. and Dec. as research months and that is what I have put down on ERAS. Do you think this is acceptable?

I did another research project during the summer of my first year and it has already been accepted for publication. I have also helped create a poster for it which will be presented at a conference in November. Here is my question: in case I cannot attend this conference and the poster is presented without me being there, do you think I can still mention it on ERAS as s poster presentation which will take place in November?

I just wasn’t sure whether I can mention things that will take place in the future.

Thanks a lot!

You can list a research experience in the future. The only problem with doing so is you may be asked about it on interviews -- so make sure you get something out of it.

If your poster is already accepted, you can list it on ERAS even though the meeting has not physically happened yet. At least, that's the way I see it.

I got a quick question about a case report. I wrote the case report and its finished and ready for submission. Do you think its okay to put this under "other than published" and then for status put submitted. And if yes what do I put for publication name?

thanks a lot!

Please do not ask the same question in two threads.

There is mixed opinion on this. The most conservative answer is no -- anyone can submit something, so just because it's submitted doesn't prove it's any good. Some would say that it's OK to list it as submitted, because that's the truth. Ask yourself this question: Let's say it gets rejected. What are you going to say when an interviewer asks "So, when am I going to see that case report of yours in print?". If you would find that question uncomfortable, then don't list the case report on your app, and instead (assuming it's accepted by then) bring it up during your interviews as something new.

You can list a research experience in the future. The only problem with doing so is you may be asked about it on interviews -- so make sure you get something out of it.

If your poster is already accepted, you can list it on ERAS even though the meeting has not physically happened yet. At least, that's the way I see it.
I worked as a researcher in a hospital. I collaborated with 2 department, Department #1 as research assistant and Department #2 as both clinical and research assistant. In the research experiences, Do I have to include all of them as a single "research experience" and explaining all of them at the designated place (this would cause too much length that obviously is in contradiction with your famous quot: The more you write, The less I read) or we can split those activities as separate 3 boxes as say 3 "research experience" with shorter description? [chronologically all of them were mixed in a 3-year period]
Thanks,

okay thanks aprogdirector good idea. The only reason I was concerned was that I wanted to use that possible publication on ERAS as a way to get some more interviews and not just to improve my chances at the interview. However, it is already on my application as research experience so that question you proposed might get asked either way and I currently have nothing under publication section on ERAS