Nov 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So I was wondering if anyone had input on a situation I'm facing. First, some background, well I'm currently a Sophomore who had no research experience prior to this previous summer where I worked in lab, mostly with bacterial research, and am currently in a supervised research class this semester working on a project dealing with RNA World Research (specifically the effect of down stream mutations on the extension rate of RNA Primers on DNA templates). I actually enjoy this research, and have gotten to know the PI of this project and some members of the lab, and I am considering continuing with it. However, it's far from clinical research, and is not very medically applicable as of yet, so should I continue in this lab or find a more clinical lab if I hope to pursue either a MD or MD/PhD tract. It would also be a lot more time consuming to look into new labs, and hope they accept me, and I really want to get started ASAP so I can get some real work done, hopefully starting next semester or in the upcoming summer. Thanks!

tortuga87

7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
your research doesnt have to be clinically related. They just want to know that you are passionate about research and can do it well. They may ask you why you decided to switch over to translational science in the interview, but that's about it.

bd4727

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2008
USA
Status
Attending Physician
So I was wondering if anyone had input on a situation I'm facing. First, some background, well I'm currently a Sophomore who had no research experience prior to this previous summer where I worked in lab, mostly with bacterial research, and am currently in a supervised research class this semester working on a project dealing with RNA World Research (specifically the effect of down stream mutations on the extension rate of RNA Primers on DNA templates). I actually enjoy this research, and have gotten to know the PI of this project and some members of the lab, and I am considering continuing with it. However, it's far from clinical research, and is not very medically applicable as of yet, so should I continue in this lab or find a more clinical lab if I hope to pursue either a MD or MD/PhD tract. It would also be a lot more time consuming to look into new labs, and hope they accept me, and I really want to get started ASAP so I can get some real work done, hopefully starting next semester or in the upcoming summer. Thanks!
Absolutely not necessary. Many people get into top tier MSTPs doing things only tangentially related to biomedicine. And actually molecular biology research is the basis of what most MD/PhD researchers work on in their labs.

Jul 21, 2010
Status
Don't worry about it! I am in the midst of applying and have already received an MSTP acceptance from a top-20 school with almost all of my research in Inorganic Chemistry, with absolutely no medical applications and one summer doing biomedical research.