Research for Pediatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anja21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how important it is that the research you're doing in medical school is in the same specialty as the one you're intending to apply for residency?
i.e. if I'm intending to apply for pediatric residency, is there even a point in doing a research project in Obgyn / IM / surgery? So do they just look at your resume and want research experience in general, so they know you're somewhat familiar with it or is it utterly important that it is in pediatrics?
For background: I'm a medical student from Germany. Here getting an MD is a title you only earn by doing a research project and writing a thesis about it, it's not mandatory though, meaning if you don't do it you will be a physician but won't technically have the title of a doctor.
It's really difficult to find such a research project in pediatrics though which is why I'm considering to either do it in a different field or not to do it at all.
So basically my question is: When applying to residency, is there any advantage to having some research experience in a different field other than pediatrics, or does it not matter then at all?
Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Peds residencies generally don’t care what field you did the research in. The surgical sub specialties or Derm might care, but peds really doesn’t. Heck, one of my peds Attendings wrote a case report with one of my med school classmates while he was in IM residency.

Thank you I appreciate the input! Would you say though that research in general is required?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say *required*, but it is highly recommended. I got into a peds residency without any research. But I did a ton of volunteering in med school to make up the difference.

I actually tried to write a case report, but the attending I was working with wouldn't give me any feedback on my drafts, or guidance as to where to submit, or anything...

You don't need specialty specific research for peds. That mainly applies to fields like ophtho, derm, ENT, which like to see pubs in your own field.

Research definitely not required for pediatrics for US grads, but it will likely strengthen your application as a FMG. For you doing research in some field is definitely better than no research at all.

Thank you I really appreciate the answers.
If you don’t mind me digging a little deeper.. here in Germany in order to actually get your research published is quite the pain and usually requires you to take a year off and invest lots of time and energy into the research. Although I’m sure it would be better to have published research, is not published research considered “ok” as well? or may they even not consider that as research at all when applying?

Thank you I really appreciate the answers.
If you don’t mind me digging a little deeper.. here in Germany in order to actually get your research published is quite the pain and usually requires you to take a year off and invest lots of time and energy into the research. Although I’m sure it would be better to have published research, is not published research considered “ok” as well? or may they even not consider that as research at all when applying?

It’s challenging to get published anywhere, and it usually doesn’t happen in a year. If you know your research project and can talk about it, the experience itself will be beneficial.

Thank you, your answers are extremely helpful to me!