Research for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kpap

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For matching into a specific specialty, is it recommended to have research experience in that specialty or is research in other areas just as sufficient?

For example, having more neurosurgical research and trying to match into orthopedics.

Members don't see this ad.

The general "rule of thumb": research is research... unless you want a competitive to highly competitive field. Research shows you are going above and beyond, obtaining a higher understanding of the scientific process, etc.

Examples:
- Students applying to IM, peds, etc. will benefit from any research. Though, if the stars align, research in your chosen field is better. That being said, most fields in this category won't really look twice if there is more research in one field compared to another. The caveat to that is if you have a ton of neurosurgery research and then applying to IM, for instance. They may ask why the change in heart, etc.
- Students applying to neurosurgery, plastics, ortho, etc., research in any field helps, sure, but students should really focus on that particular field.

Reactions: 1 user
Research in a different field doesn't help very much for a competitive specialty. A bunch of urology research and you apply NSG isn't going to look great because it shows you likely changed your mind relatively late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research in a different field doesn't help very much for a competitive specialty. A bunch of urology research and you apply NSG isn't going to look great because it shows you likely changed your mind relatively late in the game.
Dang. Looks like you have to choose relatively early on to maximize your chances

Dang. Looks like you have to choose relatively early on to maximize your chances

Yup, or do a research year if you end up not having enough research in your field of choice.

Does this apply for competitive subspecialties of IM like Cards?

Research will never hurt you.

Research outside of your desired specialty can be justified by stating that you found a great mentor, wanted to learn the basics of research, etc. The fundamentals of research can be applied in any field.

A CV with research on it beats a CV without research on it pretty much every time.

Yes, research in your desired specialty is ideal, however taking a year off for such an effort needs to be a decision rooted in your application as a whole. I would do it if you wanted to build a relationship with a big wig in the specialty, if you lacked people to write you good letters of recommendation in the field, you really wanted to go to one program (location of your extra research year), or if your application is lacking in other aspects such a board scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this apply for competitive subspecialties of IM like Cards?

For cards/GI you definitely need to have some specialty-specific research and having publications is strongly preferred. Usually people do this research in residency, but if you're in med school and you already know you want to do cards then it's a good idea to get started now and see if you can work on a project or two.

For cards/GI you definitely need to have some specialty-specific research and having publications is strongly preferred. Usually people do this research in residency, but if you're in med school and you already know you want to do cards then it's a good idea to get started now and see if you can work on a project or two.

Thanks for the insight! I'm hoping that once I'm done with Step I can jump on a project but there isn't much for students to help with at my institution in Cardiology, at least right now. If I can't get anything, is the Sarnoff research fellowship a good option or is it overkill?

Research outside of your desired specialty can be justified by stating that you found a great mentor, wanted to learn the basics of research, etc. The fundamentals of research can be applied in any field.

A CV with research on it beats a CV without research on it pretty much every time.

Yes, research in your desired specialty is ideal, however taking a year off for such an effort needs to be a decision rooted in your application as a whole. I would do it if you wanted to build a relationship with a big wig in the specialty, if you lacked people to write you good letters of recommendation in the field, you really wanted to go to one program (location of your extra research year), or if your application is lacking in other aspects such a board scores.

Would you recommend shadowing other doctors a lot in order to tailor your research (even before medical school, but once accepted)? I'd hate to know at the end of M3 that I wanted to become a urologist or something, only to realize I lacked the research to match and would need a research year.

Would you recommend shadowing other doctors a lot in order to tailor your research (even before medical school, but once accepted)? I'd hate to know at the end of M3 that I wanted to become a urologist or something, only to realize I lacked the research to match and would need a research year.

I would shadow non-clerkship (3rd year) specialties starting your MS1 year. Narrow your focus to specialties you may be interested in. I did pathology, urology, and orthopedics. Ended up not picking them, but it was still a fun experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Does type of research matter? (Lab, clinical, public health...)
Not as long as it's quality. If you publish 5 case reports and try to pass that off as "clinical research," it's probably not going to work out as you'd hoped.

To a certain extent, quantity of output does matter, and it's just easier to get publications doing clinical research. A quality lab-based publication is very difficult to attain as a medical student without taking some extra time to do a research year or a PhD--if you can do it it's seen very favorably, but there's a decent percentage of people who give it a go who have nothing tangible at the end of the experience.

Perhaps a naive question- when taking a research year after med school, are you still considered a PGY1? And are you getting paid during this year as a rule, or does it purely depend on where you do research and if they have funds, etc.?

Perhaps a naive question- when taking a research year after med school, are you still considered a PGY1? And are you getting paid during this year as a rule, or does it purely depend on where you do research and if they have funds, etc.?

No, you're considered a research fellow at whatever residency program that you're at. Most pay you, but some might as well be considered a volunteering experience with the pittance they give you. The ideal time to take a research year is between M3 and M4. You will be disadvantaged in the match if you apply post-graduation. It's considered a red flag.

Last edited:
No, you're considered a research fellow at whatever residency program that you're at. Most pay you, but some might as well be considered a volunteering experience with the pittance they give you. The ideal time to take a research year is between M3 and M4. You will be disadvantaged in the match if you take apply post-graduation. It's considered a red flag.
Ohhh wow I didn't know that...is taking an entire year for research between M3 and M4 common? I have a number of friends in various med schools and have never heard of that at all. Why isn't that considered a red flag? It seems more disruptive to your education

Ohhh wow I didn't know that...is taking an entire year for research between M3 and M4 common? I have a number of friends in various med schools and have never heard of that at all. Why isn't that considered a red flag? It seems more disruptive to your education

It's not common at all, except among some of the most competitive specialties, like derm (>50% do a research year) and nsg (>30% do a research year). Programs love research for multiple reasons. Publications increase the prestige of the institution, pad the CVs of faculty (pushing them closer to tenure), shows that you can be productive, help push the field forward, work hard, be a self-starter, think critically, and all the reasons you can think of to justify this BS encourage this scholarly pursuit.

It’s also worth noting that “research fellows” are not covered by ACGME resident work hour restrictions.

This means if, in addition to research, you are expected to take call or have clinical responsibilities, programs can strong arm you into working long hours and exploit your vulnerable career position to fill in gaps in the schedule. They’ll call it a “learning opportunity,” or some other BS.

Always aim for a research opportunity that does NOT entail clinical obligations.

Wouldn't you need IM research, in any IM field? Considering that you're matching into a internal medicine first, and then later pursing a cards/gi fellowship.