Research ideas for undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help me out, would really appreaciate it.

Im really interested in doing some research.. whether it be for the undergrad symposium or just researching.. I just want to get started. I recently completed Organic chem (I and II) and Anatomy & Physio (I and II) and I would like to conduct some research in those areas.

Only thing is, I can't really think of a topic for either. Anything in those areas would be good. I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some ideas to just get me started.

Just made the thread for some brainstorming.. maybe I can expand on some ideas that you guys come up with. Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I wouldn't try starting your own project (as in by yourself). Instead, you'll probably want to work under a research professor - a principal investigator (PI). Since you know you want to research something in organic chemistry or A&P I would ask research professors in that field to see if their lab has any openings. Contact them and ask for an interview or to see the lab.

When you go in to meet them, make sure you ask them if you'll be intellectually involved in the experiment (i.e. not just cleaning glassware), if he/she's had experience with other undergraduates in the lab, if undergraduates have gotten their own experiments and publications, etc. Make sure what the professor is doing is suited to your interests, you'll do better in something you're interested in!

After working as an assistant for a while, you might get your own experiment to conduct. In general, this path (asking a professor, becoming research assistant, eventually getting your own projects) is the one I would assume most people follow to get research experience.

As for ideas, when I go off to college in the fall I'd personally like to join an immunology lab, or something like it. Again, choose a lab tailored to your own interests.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the help prodi! I just wished I got interested in researching sooner. I'm entering my junior year already and dont have much time as I would like to invest in it, esp since MCATs are coming soon for me.

I'll try talking with my Org and A&P professors to see if they have anything for me in that area and work my way up. Thanks!