EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Hi,

I currently have no research experience and am applying to d-school this year. I have done two quarters of interning and worked with an excellent general practitioner. How do you feel this will effect my chances of getting into schools like Pacific, UCSF, or Columbia? I know UCSF is the #1 research dental school in the country so am I doomed to be rejected?

All feedback is welcomed.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
I have very little research experience and was accepted to UOP. The topic of research never came up with anyone I talked to there during my interview. On the otherhand, I just had my interview with UCSF last week and I was asked about my research experience several times. The student interviewer told me that UCSF is looking for people interested in research, teaching, public health, and giving back to the community. I would say that if you're really interested in going to UCSF, it would be beneficial to get some research and volunteer service under your belt because it can only help your chances.

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
I had no research experience and got into Penn. When I was asked why I had not chosen to do research, I responded "I just didn't want to." There was no more mention of it.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
Status
I've said this before, but I question how much ADCOMs really value research experience. I had done research in public health, genetics, and organic synthesis (presented results at state chemistry symposium). I thought that AADCOMS would love all my research, but it wasn't discussed at my interviews. So I wondered if they really cared at all.

However, in defense of the value of research, I did get interviews at all my top schools (4 interviews out of the 6 schools I sent application fees to) so perhaps it is valuable in the decision to invite a candidate for an interview. Who knows????

I guess my advice would be: It can only help, but if there is something else that you want to do with your time to pad your resume and set you apart (aka: community service, dental assisting, outstanding leadership positions) I'd say those other options may be just as valuable.