Research in Orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nima123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to join a group to do a Master's and then eventually apply to medicine. I wanted to do research in a clinically-relevant field and have two good opportunities right now, but don't know which one I should go for.

One is research in orthopaedics with a group that doesn't publish that many papers, but my supervisor is the chief of spine surgery and has promised me to let me see operations, etc. and help me get in.

The other is research on islet cells in diabetes with a group that does basic science research and publishes a lot. My supervisor would be a general surgeon but the work will involve mice and basic molecular biology techniques. Given that the guy is famous, I believe this will also help me get in.

I am more likely to publish working with the second group.

My question is if I were to do my residency in orthopaedics in the future, which of the two research experiences would count more?

What if I wanted to specialize in another surgery program.

I need to make a decision soon, so your timely responses are very much appreciated. ;)

Members don't see this ad.