Research Intensive Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentaldreams2021

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I was wondering which schools like to see applicants with research or take it more into consideration when looking at apps? Other than the Ivies of course.

I wrote about research in my personal statement - will that be a help or hindrance?

Some schools like LECOM don't seem as research heavy; they seem more clinical-based/service-based. Would talking about my research potentially make me not as desirable of a candidate to them? My logic is that if they see I've done research would they assume I would like to continue doing research and reject me if they don't have a strong research program?

Any advice from people who have previously applied and discussed their research in their PS (or even apps/interviews) and got into schools that may or may not be research intensive? And if possible could you say which schools those were?

Thank you so much!! 😀
 
The heavy hitting state schools (UCLA, UW, UMich, ect.) like research too. I had a ton of research and all the schools I applied to loved it (15 total, not including LECOM). In fact, when asked what I would do if not dentistry, I said research. Research will NOT hurt your chances, it's just another extracurricular. GPA and DAT are far more important.

A word of advice: If you're making research a theme in your application, make sure it's quality research that you enjoyed. People sometimes think being in a lab doing dishes and making gels all day is research, it's not. Try to participate in the experiments and discussions during the lab meetings. Your PI can also write you a strong letter of evaluation too.