Research interview attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview at a neuroscience laboratory today. I was wondering what the dress code is for such an interview. Is a full-on suit and tie expected or is business-casual okay? I've looked through numerous threads and couldn't find a straight answer. Is there a straight answer? This is what I'm thinking of wearing:

- Button-down long-sleeve shirt with collar.
- Dockers pants.
- Dark shoes and socks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wear a tie, but no jacket.

A tie is a step up in formality from a jacket. I'd recommend against a tie without an accompanying jacket. It looks awkwardly lonely.

Are you applying for a full-time job or a part time/summer position?

The interview is for a part-time position for the Summer and Fall.

I agree with the comments so far then. It's nearly always better to go slightly more formal, so I'd advise a tie unless you've been to the lab before and everyone is in flip flops.

For an interview for a full time research assistant position, I would definitely advise business formal.

I agree with the comments so far then. It's nearly always better to go slightly more formal, so I'd advise a tie unless you've been to the lab before and everyone is in flip flops.

For an interview for a full time research assistant position, I would definitely advise business formal.

What would that encompass? Should I just add a tie to what I've stated in my original post?

Would a suit and tie be the best way to go?

I have always thought this:
business casual:
upload_2014-4-19_17-27-32.jpeg

shirt, tie, slacks or khakis (I think slacks always look nicer though...)

sport coat, tie, shirt and slacks.

Reactions: 1 user
A tie is a step up in formality from a jacket. I'd recommend against a tie without an accompanying jacket. It looks awkwardly lonely.

While this is traditionally true, it's not commonplace in academic medicine at all. The "uniform" of the male medical student/resident is slacks + tie. You can never go wrong, unless you are interviewing for residency or fellowship, giving a podium presentation at a scientific meeting, or in a handful of other circumstances (in which setting you should be wearing a suit). It is relatively rare to see anyone wearing a jacket without tie, and almost exclusively done by attendings, at least in my experience. You may come off as pretentious by wearing this to a lab interview.

While this is traditionally true, it's not commonplace in academic medicine at all. The "uniform" of the male medical student/resident is slacks + tie. You can never go wrong, unless you are interviewing for residency or fellowship, giving a podium presentation at a scientific meeting, or in a handful of other circumstances (in which setting you should be wearing a suit). It is relatively rare to see anyone wearing a jacket without tie, and almost exclusively done by attendings, at least in my experience. You may come off as pretentious by wearing this to a lab interview.

So, should I go with something more like this this:

Button-down long sleeve shirt with collar
Tie
Slacks
Dark Shoes
Dark Socks

The last thing I want to do is come off as a pretentious arsehole during the interview.

So, should I go with something more like this this:

Button-down long sleeve shirt with collar
Tie
Slacks
Dark Shoes
Dark Socks

The last thing I want to do is come off as a pretentious arsehole during the interview.
Probably your best bet, IMO.
But, I am a girl. So....
:)

Probably your best bet, IMO.
But, I am a girl. So....
:)

"emilym" sort of gives that away. haha. Thanks for your help. I'll go business casual. I don't think a suit and tie is necessary for something like this.

I have always thought this:
business casual:
View attachment 180472

shirt, tie, slacks or khakis (I think slacks always look nicer though...)

sport coat, tie, shirt and slacks.

Emily, OP,

Out of the above two options I think you should lean towards the former. Wearing business formal would be ... Too formal.

However, please do better than the casual dress in that photo. That skinny tie and clip looks atrocious. Also, with "casual" business I always recommend brown leather shoes (with matching brown belt of course). Black shoes are fine , just I think brown works better with CBD.

Another note: in the picture of te formal guy:
- Tie is too big (looks douchey).
- I personally prefer four in hand knot over the full Windsor.
- French cuffs (I would avoid these in an interview situation where you try to appear humble)
- his pocket square: I would avoid PS In interviews. Your first PS should be while linen in the traditional TV fold.

As for ties, I love grenadine. A navy grenadine pretty much goes with anything