tomorrowgirl99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Here is the problem:
I just asked my research mentor to write me a letter of recommendation and she said yes. However, she is used to writing letters for one school and I told her that the same letter would be seen by all the schools. She doesn't know what she should include in this letter to make it "stand out" without tailoring it for a specific school. What do you guys suggest? What did your mentor write? Thanks

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
tomorrowgirl99 said:
Here is the problem:
I just asked my research mentor to write me a letter of recommendation and she said yes. However, she is used to writing letters for one school and I told her that the same letter would be seen by all the schools. She doesn't know what she should include in this letter to make it "stand out" without tailoring it for a specific school. What do you guys suggest? What did your mentor write? Thanks
If folks told you what their mentors wrote (assuming they know despite having waived the right to see it), there would be a thousand similar letters in the coming cycle and no one would stand out. It's better not to know what others' letters said, to enhance the chance of yours being original and personal.

About the Ads

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
This is strange. Has she ever wrote a LOR for a premedical student? It seems this is more her issue than yours. Perhaps she could get into contact with the premedical advisors at your school for help. You aren't asking for something out of the ordinary!

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You could create a Mail Merge for her, with all of your schools and school addresses. In MS Word, that is. She can keep some of the paragraphs the same but then tailor it here and there for you if she so chooses.

:luck:

About the Ads