Research not in Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbshah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am a 3rd year medical student and I am really considering applying for a general residency position next year. I am involved in multiple research projects not related to general surgery (1 neurosurg paper, 1 optho paper, 2 renal papers, and 1 ortho paper).
Does anyone know if it matters that my research is scattered throughout many different specialties? Or the fact that I have research papers out is good enough?

Any advice on research for matching into a good residency program and whether or not it matters what field the research is in, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I am a 3rd year medical student and I am really considering applying for a general residency position next year. I am involved in multiple research projects not related to general surgery (1 neurosurg paper, 1 optho paper, 2 renal papers, and 1 ortho paper).
Does anyone know if it matters that my research is scattered throughout many different specialties? Or the fact that I have research papers out is good enough?

Any advice on research for matching into a good residency program and whether or not it matters what field the research is in, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Any research is better than no research. Research in your field is better than research outside. The biggest problem for you is to have a good reason why you don't have general surgery research and convince them that you are not applying to general surgery as a backup to ortho or neurosurg.

Try to start on a gen surg project if you have time because your interviewers will like to talk about that. Also think about what you learned in your other research and how you came to like general over ortho/neuro. Even if they don't ask, I would probably try to make it clear that even though you have research in other areas, you are dedicated to general surg and are not applying to anything else.