Research Oportunities and options!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macmini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to do some research with children whom have cleft pallet and they following up on speech delay. The person running the research is a PHD in speech language pathology. I would really like to do the research as it really sounds interesting. But here is the thing should I be worried about doing research in speech language pathology? Also is research typicall volunteer work or should I expect to be paid for doing it? I also may have an oportunity to do some research with a phentenol patch but that is less sure and I need to check if there is a spot for me. What do you all think I am getting ready to apply next year both sound very interesting and fun but would one be better other for me

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the one you like more (of course, if the other one is uncertain, that kinda limits your options). Which interests you more?

Check with the PI/hiring person re: pay. Some is volunteer, some you might get paid for.

Nothing wrong with speech path. :p

I sort of get the idea you're wondering if there are bad types of research? I would say there is not a "bad" kind of research as long as a faculty member guides you. However, if you're are wanting to do the MD/phD program you're going to need to do it in a medical science or just a science. However, if you're just doing to for an EC, pick something you would like to do.

Hell, if you would rather do research in history, it doesn't matter. I'd say the key idea is to work with someone who is very knowledable in their field and learn! Showing interest is important.

Also, many labs aren't willing to pay a new person. Some PI's want you to be trained and "volunteer" for awhile before they'd risk hiring you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for calming my fears. For what ever reason I thought that doing research with speech language would not be on the same level in the eyes of adcoms vs something like doing research on a medicine. Honestly I know it shouldn't matter but really both things sound really cool. Doing research with kids and cleft pallet or doing it with a new type of delivery of pain medication. Both would be with people whom are very smart and good at what they do so no worries there. I am leaning toward the cleft study since I really enjoy working with kids (I work in a childrens hospital) and I am really interested in seeing how this effects the development of language!

Thanks for calming my fears. For what ever reason I thought that doing research with speech language would not be on the same level in the eyes of adcoms vs something like doing research on a medicine. Honestly I know it shouldn't matter but really both things sound really cool. Doing research with kids and cleft pallet or doing it with a new type of delivery of pain medication. Both would be with people whom are very smart and good at what they do so no worries there. I am leaning toward the cleft study since I really enjoy working with kids (I work in a childrens hospital) and I am really interested in seeing how this effects the development of language!

If it was my choice, I'd go with the language- development of language skills in "normal" people is fascinating by itself, in kids with cleft palate it could only be moreso.