Research Opportunities in New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just getting started looking into derm research. Does anyone know where to begin? I would like to find something on Long Island but I know most of the big research facilities are in the city.

Members don't see this ad.

The best place to do derm research in NYC is NYU. They are unofficially number one not only b/c their clinical program kicks ass, but also their research facilities and staff are top notch. Furthermore, NYU has a 2+2 program, which one could make a strong case for if one were to have research experience at NYU, and possibly a published paper. The only issue with NYU right now is they do not have a new chairman as of yet
Cornell is also known for its strong research, thoug not as strong as NYU. Check them both out

Don'tbeagunner said:
The best place to do derm research in NYC is NYU. They are unofficially number one not only b/c their clinical program kicks ass, but also their research facilities and staff are top notch. Furthermore, NYU has a 2+2 program, which one could make a strong case for if one were to have research experience at NYU, and possibly a published paper. The only issue with NYU right now is they do not have a new chairman as of yet
Cornell is also known for its strong research, thoug not as strong as NYU. Check them both out
Every Derm program in NYC has research opportunities available.You need to determine which places are realistic for you as an applicant.While NYU is ceratinly a powerhouse program and doing research there will be a big plus especially if its published,the other NY programs will be more possible for entry if you spend time there.Admission to the NYU derm programsis among the most difficult in the US.Often you are better off getting to know people at a lesser name program.You need to asses your overall qualifications to determine the best fit.On Long Isalnd SUNY Stony Brook has active derm research.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOdoc11 said:
I am just getting started looking into derm research. Does anyone know where to begin? I would like to find something on Long Island but I know most of the big research facilities are in the city.
If you are a DO student interested in going into Derm then you would be strongly advised to find out where the DO derm programs are located,and spend time with them.Getting to know the right people is important in this process.I dont know if research at the New York area derm programs will help you much at getting into DO residencies.

Do you think it is better to do research at a big name place (i.e. Harvard or NYU) or like someone said earlier -- make connections at a tiny program (Hershey Pennsylvania or somewhere else) in order to match for derm?

Ideally both!

If you could get a big research project and be able to make connections there, then I'd think it would be a well-spent summer!

lindsay1 said:
Do you think it is better to do research at a big name place (i.e. Harvard or NYU) or like someone said earlier -- make connections at a tiny program (Hershey Pennsylvania or somewhere else) in order to match for derm?
At a place like NYU or Harvard it may be difficult to make an impact.They are high powered places with many derm wannabees floating around.Top name profs may not be easily accessible.Of couse if you do well there it will be a major plus for your application at other places but as they can select from the absolute best of derm applicants matching there is far from sure.At a smaller program if do a good job and they like you,you will have a strong chance of matching.Its a tough choice. Do a realistic evaluation fo your qualifications and go where you feel you will fit in best.

Agree with ny skindoc. It's better, in terms of experience and in terms of improving your resume, if you can make a real impact. If you can do that in a top program, like NYU etc., all the more power to you. But be aware that they're highly competitive places. Where I currently work, there's an unofficial rule of thumb that you should write papers that can get into a publication with an multi-digit impact factor (for basic medical research). And such a project can easily take two years, where you don't add publications, because you're discouraged from publishing in journals with low impact factors.
So carefully and honestly review your ability to contribute to a research environment, and choose your affiliation accordingly.