Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aglet01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any programs/ schools that provide podiatric research opportunities during the summer? (basic science research preferably)

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question I've been trying to gauge the answer to. It seems like pod schools associated with research programs (TUSPM, SCPM, etc) tend to have more plentiful options, while schools not known for their research have more limited opportunities (WesternU, NYCPM, etc).

Perhaps some of our more learned colleagues can chime in :)

This question has come up in my interviews from people and it seems most schools have some type of an opportunity for you to do research. Most of the professors will have their own ongoing research so just like in undergrad you can try to join their lab and work your way up. It seemed like if you're proactive enough most schools will give you an opportunity to foster your ambitions, but most students added in research in the first year is almost not an option because you're going to be way too overwhelmed already

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been involved with research for about 3 years at a major research institution, have 1 publication, an honors thesis, and many technical skills (western blogs, immunohistochemistry, microscopy etc.). I also live near the podiatry school I will attend, so I was curious if this is a possibility for before the fall semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend you contact the school directly to find out.

Reactions: 1 user
At NYCPM there is no real 'summer' as semesters are year-round with a couple weeks break here and there, so everyone who is interested can do research continuously throughout the years. MANY pre-clinical and clinical professors work with students on on research posters/presentations/publications, etc. In fact, students at NYCPM last year won 1st place at the APMA Annual Scientific Meeting (out of 300 student posters from each school).

Also, we have an established independent student research journal for our school, called PMR (podiatric medical review), that groups of students can submit papers to without being associated with a professor/DPM (of course you can still work with them). This annual PMR journal is automatically sent out to every podiatry residency in the country. Bottom line: there are many opportunities to get involved in any form of research here.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm glad to know opportunities for research exist at programs if sought out.