Research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I tried econ major and joined an investment group during first semester freshman year. Ehh didn't' really fit in.

I don't have any research opportunities, and all these summer research opportunities require you to have some background in research. How can I ever get started on research?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would talk to your pre-health advisor and see if they can do anything for you. If you're at a big school sometimes they can set you up in a lab... I'm in boston so maybe it's easier said than done for me lol.. not sure if you go to a big school or not

I just cold-emailed a bunch of Biology professors and finally landed a spot.

Good luck, brah.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just cold-emailed a bunch of Biology professors and finally landed a spot.

Good luck, brah.

So just email them stating "Hello I'm a freshman in A&S looking for research opportunities, etc"?

So just email them stating "Hello I'm a freshman in A&S looking for research opportunities, etc"?

I just emailed the professor saying something like,

"Dearest Dr. Love,

I have come so, so far in my 7 years as an undergraduate at Coolige college. Regretfully, I have come to a crossroads and have no way of knowing what I'd like to pursue. My desicion lies between making tons of dough as a REAL doctor, or becoming a researcher in a smelly labratory.

Lemme shadow you..."

Remember to use lots of contractions and CAPITALS. PhD's freakin' love 'em.