Research options for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackintosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've completed my MBBS from India, now I'm considering pursuing further career in the US.
An MBBS is equivalent to MedSchool in the US, and Usually Indian IMGs write the USMLE Steps and apply for residencies.

However , I could not find any non-clinical residencies (genetics, pharmacology, physiology, microbiology,.. ). More than clinical practice I'm interested in research options.

Is there a possibility for IMGs to enter research positions in the US? If so, how do i go about it? \
Or are there residencies for those non-clinical fields?

PS: In India we have post-graduation for MedStudents-only in those non-clinical fields, and those Med School classes are taught by doctors who have done the relevant non-clinical post-graduation. Who teaches those classes in US Med Schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I've completed my MBBS from India, now I'm considering pursuing further career in the US.
An MBBS is equivalent to MedSchool in the US, and Usually Indian IMGs write the USMLE Steps and apply for residencies.

However , I could not find any non-clinical residencies (genetics, pharmacology, physiology, microbiology,.. ). More than clinical practice I'm interested in research options.

Is there a possibility for IMGs to enter research positions in the US? If so, how do i go about it? \
Or are there residencies for those non-clinical fields?

PS: In India we have post-graduation for MedStudents-only in those non-clinical fields, and those Med School classes are taught by doctors who have done the relevant non-clinical post-graduation. Who teaches those classes in US Med Schools?

You could do grad school and get a PhD, or just a post-doc in your field of interest. Neither require an MD. However, there are "non-clinical" residencies in clinical pathology, which include microbiology and clinical chemistry. You can enter these fellowships with a PhD or an MD. You may have to take the Steps, however- I do not know.

I'm not sure what you are asking in your last question, but med school courses are taught by professors, who wither have MDs or PhDs.

You could do grad school and get a PhD, or just a post-doc in your field of interest. Neither require an MD. However, there are "non-clinical" residencies in clinical pathology, which include microbiology and clinical chemistry. You can enter these fellowships with a PhD or an MD. You may have to take the Steps, however- I do not know.

Thanks for the reply.
Writing the USMLE steps is not an issue. I was mainly not very interested in those residencies available on FREIDA .
I dint realize that Pathology would also include microbiology , etc.. I will look into those closer.

Looking through the post-doc jobs, almost all the offers seem to require PhD. So it seems i must do a PhD first to be considered.

Are PhD candidates eligible to get a H1B visa? (i tried searching but could find no info :( )
It gets tough if one does a PhD with a J1 and is not able to immediately continue post-doc. I'm not sure there would be too many opportunities for a J1-waiver for PhD.

I'm not sure what you are asking in your last question, but med school courses are taught by professors, who wither have MDs or PhDs.

Here we have MD(Anatomy) , MD(Physiology), etc.., And all those MDs require MBBS ie : medschool.

So a prof for Anatomy would be one who has done MBBS (medschool) and then done the Anatomy MD ( kinda like residency in Anatomy ).
While the departments would have an Anatomy PhD professor or an Anatomy Diploma prof, the head of the Department will always be an MD(Anatomy) .

But I dont see such residency specializations in the USA , so it seems like the Head of Department for Anatomy would be a PhD ? or one who is an MD and has done a PhD in that field? Seems like the requirement for the non-clinical departments is the PhD, Am I right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.
Writing the USMLE steps is not an issue. I was mainly not very interested in those residencies available on FREIDA .
I dint realize that Pathology would also include microbiology , etc.. I will look into those closer.

Looking through the post-doc jobs, almost all the offers seem to require PhD. So it seems i must do a PhD first to be considered.

Are PhD candidates eligible to get a H1B visa? (i tried searching but could find no info :( )
It gets tough if one does a PhD with a J1 and is not able to immediately continue post-doc. I'm not sure there would be too many opportunities for a J1-waiver for PhD.

Here we have MD(Anatomy) , MD(Physiology), etc.., And all those MDs require MBBS ie : medschool.

So a prof for Anatomy would be one who has done MBBS (medschool) and then done the Anatomy MD ( kinda like residency in Anatomy ).
While the departments would have an Anatomy PhD professor or an Anatomy Diploma prof, the head of the Department will always be an MD(Anatomy) .

But I dont see such residency specializations in the USA , so it seems like the Head of Department for Anatomy would be a PhD ? or one who is an MD and has done a PhD in that field? Seems like the requirement for the non-clinical departments is the PhD, Am I right?

You don't need a PhD to do a post-doc since you already have a doctorate. It may be more difficult, however, to land a job if you don't have lab experience. I can't address the visa issues because I have no direct knowledge of the subject.

As for the teaching certification- it does not work that way here. An MD can teach an anatomy course without any additional training. You would hope they knew enough about the subject to teach medical students. Alternately, there are PhDs in anatomy as well, and those people would be just as qualified to teach the subject.

You don't need a PhD to do a post-doc since you already have a doctorate. It may be more difficult, however, to land a job if you don't have lab experience.
Yeah, that seems right. Considerable research experience is required instead of a PhD.

I can't address the visa issues because I have no direct knowledge of the subject.
No worries, Thanks for the replies.
Even the programs dont clearly mention about the policies. I hope it might be negotiable.

Hi Friends
I have just submitted in this network and I hope that I can find my answer here :)
I am MD from Iran and holder of community medicine speciality from my own country.I wanna move to US.( I have green card ) and stay there.
Actually I am very interested in research field and I wish that I can get a job as a researcher.I wonder if it is possible for an IMG to get this kind of job ?Are USMLE steps necessary?(I am not interested in practicing and I don't want to visit the patients).
I have passed "principle and practice in clinical research" course from Harvard medical school.Does it have any point for me to find a job in a research center?Can you estimate the salary?

I am really looking forward to see any answer from your side:)
Thank you very much