Research or Step 2Ck early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atan0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I have been following this forum for a while and decided to finally register to ask you guys an important question. I am currently MS3 and just your average medical student - Top half of class in top 20 medical school, Some Radiology research with Poster,abstract and possible publication, Step 1 of 238. I have no regional or personal preferences as far as Rad Onc programs go.

As you can see, I don't really have any research experience in Rad Onc and my Step 1 score is close to average-nothing special. Reading FAQ and other posts it seems like research is very important to successfully match. So, I am wondering that should I take Step 2 early or delay it to maximize time for Rad Onc research before ERAS is submitted. Also, does it matter if Rad Onc LOR is from Research mentor or Attending for clinical Rad Onc elective?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise you not to worry about step 2, though it's a borderline call, and spend a month or two in rad onc clinical research. Radiology research is not generally really looked upon with much interest by programs.

You want several rad onc LORs. Generally one should have about 2-3 rad onc letters. In your case one from research and two rad onc clinicians (such as home program and away) would be a reasonable approach.

I would advise you not to worry about step 2, though it's a borderline call, and spend a month or two in rad onc clinical research. Radiology research is not generally really looked upon with much interest by programs.

You want several rad onc LORs. Generally one should have about 2-3 rad onc letters. In your case one from research and two rad onc clinicians (such as home program and away) would be a reasonable approach.

Awesome! Thanks Neuronix, just the kind of information I was looking for. I really do appreciate all your posts on this forum. They are very informative and helpful.

If anyone else has anything to add or have any other helpful comments I would really appreciate those. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldnt agree more with neuronix. Not many programs are that interested in step 2 scores. Especially in your case, a 238 is more than enough to pass most filters (to be honest I have never seen anything to convince me a good step 2 can really make up for a bad step one, but my experience is limited mostly to higher quality east coast programs and people swear it can my observations may not be generalizable and should be taken in context).

Not sure about letters. For sure one from clinical rad onc ans one from research rad onc. Beyond that its a little contested. Some people swear by more so maybe there is a basis. I would encourage a letter from your radiology research mentor as almost necessary if you do publish. PDs like to have a sense of what you actually did and how involved you were in the research. As a heads up plan on having a medicine letter. There are a few rad onc programs that are categorical and require one. Also may need one depending on what you will do for internship.

And neuronix is right if you do an away you will need to have a letter from that place. My point above was that there is a false belief that only rad onc letters matter. I assure you they are important but in some circumstances (like with published non rad onc research) non rad onc letters matter too.