research-oriented med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saa09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools are highly research-oriented? I know that Stanford is, but what are the others? I'm asking because I do not have strong research ECs and might want to cut some of those schools from my list. Also, I'm not applying to schools like Duke, because I don't want to do a year of required research
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Which medical schools are highly research-oriented? I know that Stanford is, but what are the others? I'm asking because I do not have strong research ECs and might want to cut some of those schools from my list. Also, I'm not applying to schools like Duke, because I don't want to do a year of required research
Thanks

Go to the US News research rankings. Those rankings are largely driven by research grant dollars. So the higher on the list a school is, the more research money it generates, the more research oriented it will be.

So, if you're interested in being a physician-scientist and want to attend a med school with a strong research focus, it looks like you're required to apply to only top 20 schools. But applying solely to highly ranked programs is generally inadvisable. So other than your state school(s), are there any safety picks if you want a strong focus on research without going full MSTP? It looks like only the top schools would provide this.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if you're interested in being a physician-scientist and want to attend a med school with a strong research focus, it looks like you're required to apply to only top 20 schools. But applying solely to highly ranked programs is generally inadvisable. So other than your state school(s), are there any safety picks if you want a strong focus on research without going full MSTP? It looks like only the top schools would provide this.

I'm slightly confused. Unless you're talking about being an MD with a strong research background, isn't the only other option to be an MD/PhD? If you are talking about just having an MD with a strong research background, then I'd say that it matters more about how you USE the resources that a medical school has than actually going to a higher ranked school because there are plenty of students in the top 20 that won't bother with research in med school. It just isn't their thing. So being in the top 20 is not the be-all end-all for getting a good research experience while in med school.

I'm slightly confused. Unless you're talking about being an MD with a strong research background, isn't the only other option to be an MD/PhD? If you are talking about just having an MD with a strong research background, then I'd say that it matters more about how you USE the resources that a medical school has than actually going to a higher ranked school because there are plenty of students in the top 20 that won't bother with research in med school. It just isn't their thing. So being in the top 20 is not the be-all end-all for getting a good research experience while in med school.
I should have been more specific. Many of the top schools offer some type of extended research opportunity, either in the way of a combined MD/MS (CCLCM) or an open-ended fifth year program (Stanford, Duke, Yale, many others). The common thread with all these schools is a very high ranking (which parallels NIH funding). I want to know if there are schools outside the top 20 that offer a similarly strong research potential. Because looking at their mission statements, it doesn't seem like many seriously promote that kind of extra training for their MD-only students (only their MD/PhDs). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't want to attend a school that treats research as a mere afterthought in their MD program (compared to the higher funded schools, at least).

UChicago is also very research and academic medicine focused.