Research over summer and OMSII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipressurexd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about research and whether clinical is more preferred over basic sciences. I am an OMSI at AZCOM and with summer approaching, I recently began shooting out wide emails to profs looking for research opportunities. I had done a lot of research in undergrad and 2 years after graduation (pretty much all benchwork/data analysis), but I heard all that is probably not impactful to residency applications. Right now, I'm feel a bit lost over which professors to email and whether I should have my own research ideas, etc.

Would clinical research be more beneficial over basic science? I had read that a pub is helpful whatever field it may be in.

My aim is for IM/EM residency into a pulm CC if IM. I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you~

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t say clinical research is preferred over basic science research. It’s just that some residency directors value publications. Since it’s much easier to complete and publish a clinical research project, more medical students go that route. But if you really like basic science then do that. Just make sure that it is relevant to IM/EM or Pulm/CC.

I don’t think you need to have your own ideas to get involved with research, just express your interest in their(whichever PI you are emailing) research and ask if you can get involved. Since you have a research background already and likely are doing it for free, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone willing to take you in. Feel free to shoot emails to people outside your school as well, such as at Mayo Clinic AZ and UA Phoenix.

I wouldn’t say clinical research is preferred over basic science research. It’s just that some residency directors value publications. Since it’s much easier to complete and publish a clinical research project, more medical students go that route. But if you really like basic science then do that. Just make sure that it is relevant to IM/EM or Pulm/CC.

I don’t think you need to have your own ideas to get involved with research, just express your interest in their(whichever PI you are emailing) research and ask if you can get involved. Since you have a research background already and likely are doing it for free, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone willing to take you in. Feel free to shoot emails to people outside your school as well, such as at Mayo Clinic AZ and UA Phoenix.
Can I piggyback off of this? I'm at a DO school where there are naturally not many Clinical Research Opportunities, and I personally don't like Bench Research. ( I also think it's too big of a time commitment for med school).

Are some case studies in 3rd year enough to lift me up for IM/FM/peds ( along w volunteer work in second year)? I'm either going for primary care or a not super competitive specialty ( such as Rheum).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I piggyback off of this? I'm at a DO school where there are naturally not many Clinical Research Opportunities, and I personally don't like Bench Research. ( I also think it's too big of a time commitment for med school).

Are some case studies in 3rd year enough to lift me up for IM/FM/peds ( along w volunteer work in second year)? I'm either going for primary care or a not super competitive specialty ( such as Rheum).
Looking through the 2020 match charting outcomes it seems that overall DO students with no research still matched pretty well in IM/FM/Peds. That being said, if you are targeting more competitive IM/Peds programs it helps to have some research. I think your plan is good though!

Looking through the 2020 match charting outcomes it seems that overall DO students with no research still matched pretty well in IM/FM/Peds. That being said, if you are targeting more competitive IM/Peds programs it helps to have some research. I think your plan is good though!
Can case studies count as research/publications? I've heard too much conflicting evidence on this. At my school faculty seem to think case studies are fine for things like peds/IM/Fm but just not ortho/Nuerusurg/etc. Overall our school is realistic about DO bias, having to take USMLE, etc.

Can case studies count as research/publications? I've heard too much conflicting evidence on this. At my school faculty seem to think case studies are fine for things like peds/IM/Fm but just not ortho/Nuerusurg/etc. Overall our school is realistic about DO bias, having to take USMLE, etc.
Thank you for piggy backing. This discussion is giving me a lot of possible options~ Is it possible to do research during OMS III/IV?

Thank you for your answer. I did a bunch of basic science research so I was considering dipping into clinical. I definitely will be emailing PIs at Mayo and UA.