Research philosophy and math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is research and publications in either the fields of philosophy or math perceived by ADCOMs? I may want to take time off STEM research to pursue research in either philosophy or math. I'd like to do so because I genuinely enjoy these subjects. Will this hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

No. It won't. the goal of adcoms is to figure out if you want to be a physician scientist, and have a reasonable shot of succeeding. They'd likely see your broad academic interests as a strength rather than a weakness, assuming you've done enough STEM research to convince them that you know what the PhD will be like. Where that line is drawn is tricky, but I think Neuronix guidelines remain reasonable.

*I may want to take time off STEM research to pursue research in either philosophy or math

Agreed with Stilgar above, although I would be careful not to make this* statement a focal point (or perhaps not at all) in essays/interviews. Time-to-graduation is an important metric for programs - and more importantly, their benefactors. I'd suggest sharing your previous involvement with non-STEM research, but, separately, make it clear that you understand the demands of an MD/PhD program (particularly the time constraints on the PhD). You are more likely to actualize the potential of doing the research you are interested in once you have matriculated into a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may want to take time off STEM research to pursue research in either philosophy or math.

I might just be a simple knuckledragger, but doesn't the "M" in "STEM" stand for math?

Anyways, no, A broad interest is always a good thing, assuming that it results in some scoreboard items (papers, abstracts, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
I might just be a simple knuckledragger, but doesn't the "M" in "STEM" stand for math?

Anyways, no, A broad interest is always a good thing, assuming that it results in some scoreboard items (papers, abstracts, etc)
yes it does i don't know why i worded it that way