Research Position Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A professor at our college of medicine is looking to hire undergraduate students to conduct research in the immunology of aids. We will be trained for different research projects and then conduct our research in a hospital laboratory.

I sent an email showing my interest in the position and I must send in a resume and a cover letter with my interest and why I should be selected for the position.

The resume is no problem Ive had one done already. My only problem is the cover letter with my interest and why I should be picked. I've never done research before and dont know what my interests could be in the research field. I really wouldnt know how to go about writing something like this. Does anyone have any ideas or can help me get started?

Members don't see this ad.

Basic science research experience in itself should be reason for interest. Exposure to a field you have no experience in, seeing a new side of medicine, etc.

As far as why you should be picked, talk about teamwork, dedication, scholastic ability, etc

That sounds like a great research experience. You should definitely try for it.

thanks for the tips it gives me a start, yea im definitely going to apply for it and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely add in what time commitment you are willing to put in. How many hours a week and the duration you plan to stay in the lab. They won't want to spend the time and money to train someone whose going to quit a few months later. If possible commit to 1+years.

thats a really good point, i never thought about adding that in there. I currently am not working so I can commite my time there. Should I state that? (that i am not working and my time will be spent well while there)

how do i go about starting the cover letter for the research position?

Sometimes the hardest part is just to start writing -- you have all your reasons in your head somewhere. If you need a template microsoft has great ones. Of course, don't copy what they say, but they will give you a good idea of tone, format, etc.

www.office.microsoft.com

Just click on templates.

Good luck.