Research Position Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for a summer research position coming up this week, and I was wondering (based off of your experiences) what I might want to be prepared for. Do they generally grill you on how much you know about their research or do they try to find out if the job is compatible with your personality? I have a feeling it might be a bit of both, but I'm wondering if you guys ran into anything unusual.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of things that you should know before you sit with the PI:

1) Do a search on the recent publishings by the lab/PI and get a general idea of what the research is about or what (s)he is currently working on.
Note: you do not have to memorize any of the paper details however be able to have a stimulating conversation about the research

2) Look at the track record of the publishing from the lab i.e journals, posters, conferences, abstracts etc.
Also find out from past/current students as to how they are published/rewarded for the work that they did.

3) Be clear as to YOUR GOALS from the project. Make the PI aware of what your plans are and what is expected from the research from your side. (most are aware of the medical school process and can understand your side)

4) Discuss compensation/wages or hours of work in the lab (volunteer hours) and the schedule that you would be following.

If all of these issues are addressed before hand, they make for a smooth project overall.