Research prof for non-science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungspleen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took an English class and ended up getting an A this quarter. It was a small class so I figured I could get a letter of rec but the professor screwed me over and told me he wouldn't write one. I haven't taken a non-science class in a while and most had 300+ students so I don't know the professors. However, the lead professor for my research is in the psychology department. Would a letter from her suffice for a non-science LOR? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

So I took an English class and ended up getting an A this quarter. It was a small class so I figured I could get a letter of rec but the professor screwed me over and told me he wouldn't write one. I haven't taken a non-science class in a while and most had 300+ students so I don't know the professors. However, the lead professor for my research is in the psychology department. Would a letter from her suffice for a non-science LOR? Thank you
Did he teach you in a class you received a grade in? If not, I would say no.

Some people interpret non-science professor to mean any person who is not a science professor. Some people interpret it to mean a professor who taught you in a social science or humanities course.

I lean toward the latter and I believe most schools do as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did he teach you in a class you received a grade in? If not, I would say no.

It was part of a student research program which does show up on the transcript as a pass/fail 2 unit class

Some people interpret non-science professor to mean any person who is not a science professor. Some people interpret it to mean a professor who taught you in a social science or humanities course.

I lean toward the latter and I believe most schools do as well.

Do most schools require this? I thought I had this LOR wrapped up as I seemed to be on good terms with the professor. There is no way I can get a non-science LOR before the deadlines now. I have strong stats, but will the lack of that LOR screw me?

He/She is faculty
He/She had you in a course on transcript
He/She is in social sciences

It is fine as a non-science LOR at most, if not all, schools

Thank you! That's good to hear

Same thing just happened to me today, except with a science letter. But my PI (microbiology lab) meets all of those criteria, so I guess that can work as a second science letter?