Research Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyphool

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey I already recieved by bachelor's degree already. However i changed my mind and want to do medicine. So now i am finishing my premed requirements at a different university. I was just wondering if anyone here did any research programs as an undergrad or someone that has already graduated but not yet in grad school. Are there any good programs or summer programs out there that can increase my chanes of being admitted into a med school? It seems like most of these programs are for undergrads only? If so can you post some links? I heard by word of mouth that med school applicants have a great chance of being accepted into medical school if they do research for the school that they are applying to. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

I would only recommend doing scientific research if you're really interested in it. It can be extremely time-consuming and frustrating at times, so in my opinion if you're only wanting to do research to boost your chances of getting into med school, you'll probably end up unhappy and it will be an overall waste of time. Also, it's usually pretty obvious during interviews if you just did something to impress others or if you actually have a deep-seated interest in it.

However, if I misread your post and you really are interested in doing research, then just browse the web site of your institution and see what PIs' research interests you, and then send them some emails asking if they have room for you in their lab. In my experience, most people are able to get a job (sometimes initially without pay) in one of their top three choices for a lab....there are really a ton of opportunities out there.

Being at NIH now, I have to advertise about this.
NIH offers summer internship (short term, ~2 months), post-bacc training (1 - 2 years, or even more, this is my second year). Application is done online http://www.training.nih.gov/ This post-bacc training helps me a lot on getting into MSTPs.

Good luck.

I.A.