Research Projects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfeelgood99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone do any small clinical research projects while in school? If so, when did you do them? Is it better to focus on getting Step 1 over with and then start something your third year, or to try and get something going ASAP?

Members don't see this ad.

I began doing research stuff during 1st year although not all of it neurosurgery related. I think it depends on how well you feel you can handle both...don't sacrifice doing well on Step 1 for research sake, but it would be best to do both. Third year rotations can be pretty busy (usually people would say you're going to have less free time during 3rd year than you would during 2nd year). There is no reason you couldn't continue 2nd year, study for Step 1, and do some chart-review type research at the same time. Writing up a case report can be a fairly quick way to get something published although research project will also look better.

Thanks for all your advice in the Neurosurgery section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's wait for some more bud, I am interested too and it is good to know what more than one person has to say ;)

hi there!i m a medical graduate from india.i have great passion for neurosurgery,presently working as a junior resident in neurosurgery here in delhi,india. how can i get a paid research assistantship in neurosurgery in usa? i hope it ll help me to get residency in neurosurgery at the time of match.

mpp said:
I began doing research stuff during 1st year although not all of it neurosurgery related. I think it depends on how well you feel you can handle both...don't sacrifice doing well on Step 1 for research sake, but it would be best to do both. Third year rotations can be pretty busy (usually people would say you're going to have less free time during 3rd year than you would during 2nd year). There is no reason you couldn't continue 2nd year, study for Step 1, and do some chart-review type research at the same time. Writing up a case report can be a fairly quick way to get something published although research project will also look better.