Research Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received an interview from a big name academic institution in the NE for a as a research Psychiatrist. Would I be primarily a researcher and a psychiatrist second. And how would compensation usually look? Think like top 5 academic institutions . Would you expect to be making atleast 250?

Members don't see this ad.

Received an interview from a big name academic institution in the NE for a as a research Psychiatrist. Would I be primarily a researcher and a psychiatrist second. And how would compensation usually look? Think like top 5 academic institutions . Would you expect to be making atleast 250?
I don't follow. Do you have a grant? Are you being hired to work in a research clinic to help with clinical trials? The usual process of being hired on as a clinician-scholar assistant or associate professor is that you have a small amount of clinical work and then time to spend on research that is usually funded by an NIH grant, or an endowment, by department funds (pretty unusual in the absence of an expectation that you will soon have a grant), or to work in a lab doing things like physical exams/clinical tasks for a well-funded research program.

How much you can expect to make will depend on how the position is structured. Given my best guess from what you are describing I would expect low $200s.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds like you would be functioning as a psychiatrist in the context of someone's clinical research and not actually doing much of the research yourself. This could be doing diagnostic interviews for clinical trials or other research (e.g. genetics, imaging, immunology etc). Top NE institutes usually pay in the low 200s. Actual research positions at such institutes usually expect you to get your own grants to fund your salary (and may pay a fellows salary or expect you to make your salary doing clinical work until you get such grants). This is not a job anyone does for the money. You may have the opportunity to have your own PP on the side or have a faculty practice depending on the institution.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like you would be functioning as a psychiatrist in the context of someone's clinical research and not actually doing much of the research yourself. This could be doing diagnostic interviews for clinical trials or other research (e.g. genetics, imaging, immunology etc). Top NE institutes usually pay in the low 200s. Actual research positions at such institutes usually expect you to get your own grants to fund your salary (and may pay a fellows salary or expect you to make your salary doing clinical work until you get such grants). This is not a job anyone does for the money. You may have the opportunity to have your own PP on the side or have a faculty practice depending on the institution.
Yeah I believe it is exactly this, where I would be a psychiatrist within the context of his clinical research.