Research publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truckibear

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about whether research publications make you more competitive for landing a residency spot. I don't have any but I am thinking about doing a rotation somewhere that would allow me to do some research and publish something. It would be great to hear from anyone who matched somewhere with publication(s). Do you think that helped you? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters a whole lot in most cases. There are some programs that have a lot of esearch going on that want residents who are going to contribute to this.

I had a research project that was related to an interest of mine. This interest is evident on my CV for the last 8 years or so (volunteer work, paid work, undergrad minor and research). I absolutely think that it was a benefit in applying to residency, but most people aren't going to have something like that.

What year are you? You are unlikely to get a publication or even an abstract in time for ERAS if you haven't been working on it for a while now. It would be tough to get much done in a 1 month rotation towards publication.

I'm wondering about whether research publications make you more competitive for landing a residency spot. I don't have any but I am thinking about doing a rotation somewhere that would allow me to do some research and publish something. It would be great to hear from anyone who matched somewhere with publication(s). Do you think that helped you? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! :)
You can look at the NRMP's Charting Outcomes document for info on research helping your chances of landing a residency spot.

It is very difficult to get anything together for a pub (clinical or basic research) in one month. Even if someone did, it would take months for it to get through submission and review before finally being published.

Go to where ever to get some lab experience. But have a realistic view of what you can accomplish.