MD Research, Pubs and all the good stuff for somone aiming at peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Brk

Reaction score
I already know what i want to do in the future, and it is peds.
I am an international student in europe (first year out of 6) and i was wondering what would be considered as a pub when it comes to the match and you know American standards? Like a pub in any medical journal would be fine or is there some kind of specifications? And what kind of research opportunities should i be on the look out for if peds is my goal? I am asking because i want to start looking for research and stuff so i can start during the summer since year2/3 are very packed and i want to make the most out of my time. i aim to do step1 hopefully during year 3. I know doctors in my medical school and some who are outside of my medical school that do a lot of research and i wanted to know what to ask them when i talk to them about research opportunities.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A "pub" is an original research project that is accepted and published into a scientific journal. Generally, the more prestigious, the better, and the more pubs you have, the better. Oral and poster presentations are counted in the same group as publications when you apply to residency in the US, but publications are looked upon more favorably. Join a peds lab or do projects that are related to pediatric diseases if you feel you must. Even for the most competitive specialties in the US, however,l you do not have to do research in that specific field, so I guess i'd say don't feel obligated to do peds only research. Just do as much as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
A "pub" is an original research project that is accepted and published into a scientific journal. Generally, the more prestigious, the better, and the more pubs you have, the better. Oral and poster presentations are counted in the same group as publications when you apply to residency in the US, but publications are looked upon more favorably. Join a peds lab or do projects that are related to pediatric diseases if you feel you must. Even for the most competitive specialties in the US, however,l you do not have to do research in that specific field, so I guess i'd say don't feel obligated to do peds only research. Just do as much as you can.
Cool cool, thanks man, have a good night and yeah thanks for the advice again, much appreciated