Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a new hem/onc fellow looking to go into an academic career in leukemia/MPDs.

I'm perfectly happy with the type of current clinical/translational research I'm getting to do. However, I'm looking for a bigger idea.

Do any of you have a suggestion on an important far reaching question, which, if answered, will have a tremendous impact on the field?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Solving the metastasis problem?
More accurate early detection for the more aggressive cancers?
Overcoming acquired resistance?

Thank you.

I was hoping for more focused Questions, particularly in the field of Leukemia/MPNs.

Questions that can answered with today's technologies but no one hasn't bothered yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Translation: "Does anyone have a million-dollar idea for me to be successful because I lack the creativity to think one on my own?" You're coming off as a high-school student who needs help with an essay topic.

Why can't you be innovative on your own? Part of the research process is to identify gaps in the literature/science and to decide if they're worth studying. Otherwise, give up on a career in academics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.

I was hoping for more focused Questions, particularly in the field of Leukemia/MPNs.

Questions that can answered with today's technologies but no one hasn't bothered yet.
This is why you get a research mentor. Someone who can give you an idea, make you work on it for him/her, and then take credit for it later, hopefully at least making you 2nd author.

If you're not willing to make that Faustian bargain, academics is decidedly NOT for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't expect to just come up with a brilliant idea as a fellow which will "impact the field". It doesn't work that way. That's a very naive way of thinking for a fellow.
You will be working as somebody's b**** for a while and then be on your own (kind of) and build connections with pharma and other investigators and explore the market needs and gaps in current care ...etc
This is years or decades in the making. not just somebody with a notebook sitting in the lab with a sudden appearance of a light bulb over their head. And certainly not an anonymous SDN member throwing the idea of a lifetime at you in this forum.

You can still do quite a bit of research as a fellow and somewhat of it might actually be very relevant and intriguing. but not to the level you're thinking.

Reactions: 1 user