Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S6MD

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of off the wall, but I was looking for the term that describes the situation where people involved in a test will respond in accordance with the researchers, simply because they know they are involved in a study.

I googled for a bit, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

nope, not that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, that's not what I'm looking for either. So, it might be easier to explain if I relate it to focus group type studies. Let's say you were asked to be in a focus group about Domino's pizza (yes, I drew inspiration from those really lame commercials).

If you were asked questions about Domino's pizza, you might be motivated to respond in a way that would agree with what you believed the researchers were attempting to determine (let's say the researchers were trying to find a link between consuming pizza and increased health). You might say, knowing the goal of the study, that you feel healthier after you eat a pizza, even though you really don't.

I'm pretty sure there is a word to describe such bias. Just can't think of it. Not a random ? either, I need it to finish up my own research project :/

Are you talking about perceived authority effects? As in a patient perceives a research physician to be in a position of authority and wants to confirm what they think the doctor wants to hear?

Or something more similar to a confirmation bias? Though that's more related to the researcher, not the subject-researcher interaction.

Last edited:
Are you talking about perceived authority effects?

I think that's definitely warmer, but that is more linked to the "white-coat effect" I believe. Ahhh, it's floating around my brain somewhere - c'mon neurons, find one another.

Yeah, that's how I got there too. I'd maintain they are a little different, with perceived authority playing more into trust relationships (this person is an expert, therefore I should trust what they say) than white coat effects (those being more symbol has meaning inducing physiologic effects.)

It's been a long time since my psych major years...