Research Question

Started by S6MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

S6MD

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is kind of off the wall, but I was looking for the term that describes the situation where people involved in a test will respond in accordance with the researchers, simply because they know they are involved in a study.

I googled for a bit, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, that's not what I'm looking for either. So, it might be easier to explain if I relate it to focus group type studies. Let's say you were asked to be in a focus group about Domino's pizza (yes, I drew inspiration from those really lame commercials).

If you were asked questions about Domino's pizza, you might be motivated to respond in a way that would agree with what you believed the researchers were attempting to determine (let's say the researchers were trying to find a link between consuming pizza and increased health). You might say, knowing the goal of the study, that you feel healthier after you eat a pizza, even though you really don't.

I'm pretty sure there is a word to describe such bias. Just can't think of it. Not a random ? either, I need it to finish up my own research project :/
 
Are you talking about perceived authority effects? As in a patient perceives a research physician to be in a position of authority and wants to confirm what they think the doctor wants to hear?

Or something more similar to a confirmation bias? Though that's more related to the researcher, not the subject-researcher interaction.
 
Last edited:
Are you talking about perceived authority effects?

I think that's definitely warmer, but that is more linked to the "white-coat effect" I believe. Ahhh, it's floating around my brain somewhere - c'mon neurons, find one another.
 
Yeah, that's how I got there too. I'd maintain they are a little different, with perceived authority playing more into trust relationships (this person is an expert, therefore I should trust what they say) than white coat effects (those being more symbol has meaning inducing physiologic effects.)

It's been a long time since my psych major years...